Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Marlin 1894 CB LTD in 44-40 which I haven't fired yet, but the cartridge really intrigues me for some reason. I see where folks say you can shoot that cartridge long range (not for hunting mind you) for target and silhouette. But how long is long? The cartridge doesn't look all that big, the bullet isn't heavy...well at least not in comparison to my 'big bores'.
I guess I shouldn't be looking at other rifles in this caliber since i haven't shot the one I have, but....my 1894 has the 24" bbl and here's the rub, I see on the Cimarron website a Model 1873 with a 30"bbl in 44-40...so again..how long is long using either of these rifles?
So, any thoughts on this? Anyone out there actually try shooting long range with the 44-40? Anyone own one of the 1873's with the 30"bbl?
Here's a linky to the Cimarron page....it's a very pretty rifle!
1873 Long Range Deluxe Sporting Rifle 44 WCF, 30 in. Barrel

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm no expert , but I say around 125 to 150 yards at most. If you scope it and handload for it, you may get a little farther.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, that's it? I was kinda hoping 500+ yards. I won't scope my 1894, but I thought a tang sight would get me out there consistently. I was kinda hoping my wife or some of my recoil sensitive friends might be able to use it when I go silhouette shooting, since no one wants to use my 45-70 for some reason.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
I would think the limiting factor with a 44-40 would be the rifle's sights. With a tang sight I would think longer range at stationary targets is possible. With long range sights they are using 32-20's past 500 yards with loads safe in a rifle. I would think 400 yards would be possible if you were shooting at a stationary target at least 18 inches square. Matching proper diameter lead bullet with the barrel and proper burning rate powder in either a 24 or 30 inch barrel would produce some surprising results. Shenandoah

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Shenandoah, looks like there may be some hope! I saw a few places online...like youtube..where some folks actually shot out to 300 meters, but I wanted to get some feed back from the folks here since they actually use the rifle I'd be starting out with! I'll definitely see what i can get the Marlin to do before considering a very expensive remake of the 1873.

·
Banned
19,622 Posts
I load my lead bullets to approximately 1200 fps in my 44 Mag,don't own a chrono. They're sighted in at 150 yards to hit clay pigeons. Last week Ms J and I were hitting the 200 yard target easily and consistently by holding over to the base of the bead front sight. I hunt with this 1894,so I'm not changing the sight.
I'm absolutely 100% certain with correct sight settings,that any accurate rifle and load will hit as far as you want. Don't forget,in the Civil War,Berdan's Sharpshooters were hitting and killing men at 600-800 yards with Minie balls and Whitworth conicals in muzzleloaders. I doubt they were loaded beyond 1300-1400 fps.
Fire away with confidence and please give us the report.

Rob

·
Registered
2,237 Posts

My Marlin '94 CB in 44-40 cal. shoots the dingers at 500 yards. No doubt it will go longer.....just have not shot it at long range, yet. Range is usually limited by the shooter.......how far he "thinks" it will shoot.
Bring it to the Happenz Jim, and try it on the 650 yard dinger!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Bring it to the Happenz Jim, and try it on the 650 yard dinger!
I would love to see one of WetDog's video's of the 44-40 ringing the dingers :top:

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts

Good idea, maybe I should do just that.....:driver:
Yes, yes, please do! :tee:

Historically speaking, Winchester indicated that their '73 was effective and accurate at all practical ranges, up to 500 or 600 yards.

In longer range testing I have done, I found that the accuracy produced by the original bullet (427098 Lyman) and black powder is pretty tough to beat.
At 500 meters, in good conditions (little wind), it will pretty much stay on a 15"x 15" target.

The furthest I have fired my .44-40 was at "Homer" the steel buffalo @ 1,000 yards. On that particularr day the conditions were not the greatest but those 427098's did ring steel a few times.

w30wcf

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

Well, you guys got me wondering if I had forgotten a thing or two. So I gathered up my 44-40 CB and portable dinger and headed to the range. Hammered that dinger at 300 yards so I moved to the 600 yard marker. The wind was coming up so the shooting was hit or miss mostly miss. I did manage to get 3 hits out of 9 shots in spite of the wind but decided that I was wasting my time in the 20 to 30 mph wind. Had to go home to get some of Wind's Grin Remover.......just in time to prevent face cracking.

Marlin 44-40 CB with 24 in barrel. Cast bullets at 1352 fps average. Aperture sights, shooting from the Okanogan Shooting Stix.

Mazer, the barrel length does not matter except for increased sight radius.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmmm...so..the Uberti 1873 is also available in 45LC, I have never owned a rifle in that caliber, would it be superior to the 44-40 for Long range? It's an option, and it might give me a little harder hit if I decide to hunt with it. Not sure I'd go there, but the 30" Long Range 1873 is REALLY beginning to call my name! Unless of course I find a Marlin CB in 45LC, that would trump the Uberti for me! :eating:

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts

Well, you guys got me wondering if I had forgotten a thing or two. So I gathered up my 44-40 CB and portable dinger and headed to the range. Hammered that dinger at 300 yards so I moved to the 600 yard marker. The wind was coming up so the shooting was hit or miss mostly miss. I did manage to get 3 hits out of 9 shots in spite of the wind but decided that I was wasting my time in the 20 to 30 mph wind. Had to go home to get some of Wind's Grin Remover.......just in time to prevent face cracking.

Marlin 44-40 CB with 24 in barrel. Cast bullets at 1352 fps average. Aperture sights, shooting from the Okanogan Shooting Stix.

Mazer, the barrel length does not matter except for increased sight radius.
Jim,
Nice shooting! :biggrin: Thank you for the report! Would you share your load recipe..... Bullet.....powder.....charge weight?

Thank you,
w30wcf

Reactions: ia1727 and JBledsoe
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.