Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just up at my local Gander Mountain and came across some these. I was wondering if there is anyone here that has shot any out of their 1894?, and if so what kind of accuracy or on game performance did you get from them? Any info would be very welcome. Also before I forget what kind of accuracy should expect from my 1894 at 50 and 100 yds?, I just bought a 1894SS and have not had the chance to get out to the range yet :( . Once again thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
688 Posts
You should get usable accuracy in your gun. Specifics are unforeseeable as every gun is different.

·
Registered
311 Posts
336A,

I have a 44 Mag (blued model). These quick handling rifles are great for the brush as well as shots out to about 125. I use a 240 gr.JSP that groups in about 3" @ 100yd(2.5). I can hit clay birds on the berm of my range which is 125-130 yd away. I am intrigued by that 275 gr. Remington load; might work well on hogs.
Lots of luck with that new Marlin.
MUZZLEDUSTER

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MUZZLEDUSTER,
I finally got to the range and got about 3-4 inch groups. But that is with the sucky factory open sights and a horendus trigger pull. I feel I could have done bettre if I had a scope installed at least a little bit anyway. I was getting the best accuracy with the Win white box soft points. If you ever get a chance to use those Core-lokts let me know how they work out for you and I will do the same here on my end. By the way how does the .44 work on those hogs down there.

·
Registered
311 Posts
336A,
Winchester white box 240JSP is my favorite. I buy them at Wallyworld for short money. There is a fellow on our forum here who posted a nice how-to on slicking up Marlins which helped a great deal with me.
I have also scoped my 1894. A Leupold VX-2 1x4 power is just right. I used Burris "super-lo" mounts(weaver style). The little Marlin is also fitted with a Pachmahr Decelerator recoil pad and home made leather sling.
With the low overbore scope and pad, this gun snaps to the shoulder and is perfectly aligned with the eye.
Glad to hear you're enjoying your game hammer!
MUZZLEDUSTER :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Marlin .44 Magnum

336A,

I'm a 'paper puncher' and former reloader. Big game for me is a 3# coffee can.

I have found that my .44 Mag likes lighter bullets for accuracy in both my revolver and my rifle. Your new carbine will send lighter slugs whistling downrange. As the previous posters have stated, start with some 'white box' 240 grain ammo and experiment with that as your 'baseline'.

Enjoy.

Jim H.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I was mostly shooting handguns this afternoon, but took my unfired 1894SS with me. I was shooting the white box 240gr soft points and thought it was pretty good (hard to see the front site these days) but then I tried the 300 grain Cast Core and shot the center out of the target. Now I was only shooting at 25 yard but for the difficulty I had being able to see the front sight against the black target thought that was pretty good. I haven't tried the 275 grain remingtons but have heard from fore than a couple of people on the forum about the 300 grain Cast Cores and their being impressed with them. Much more potent than out of a revolver but the recoil I felt wasn't bad at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts