Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of you all ever used the .429 250gr PT's in any of 444 loads. I have used the 300gr PT in my 45-70 and think it is probably the best all around jacketed bullet and just wonder how the smaller bullet stacks up. Scotty

·
Super Moderator
15,864 Posts
Does PT mean a Partition Bullet?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it sure does, sorry for the shortening of it. Yeah, the .429 250gr Partition bullet. Scotty

·
Super Moderator
7,954 Posts
I'm sure they will shoot fine, I have never shot one, my thinking has always been with the .429 250gr partition was it was too strong a bullet for deer sized game, and too light a bullet for Elk size game, so it kind of fell into the bullet abyss.

One of our members here loved the bullet for his 444, so baised on him, they are good to go!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just wondering about their use with the 444. I didn't know they were discontinued. I will have to ask some more questions. I thought they went to a limited run, kinda like the 45-70 300gr Partition. Scotty

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
47 gr H4198 and the 250 Partition shot great out of the 444P I had. I have one box left ( traded GeorgeKy 2 other boxes) and if you look far and wide you can usually find them. I have not killed game with thyem, but years ago, Chub Eastman shot feral donkeys in OZ with his Black Shadow, and the 250 loaded to around 2200. Up to 250 yards they were so DRT that the guide thought he was head shooting them, but they were all shoulder shots. Impressed me. BTW, I load the 250 Sierra Tournament 250 FMP bullet with same load to same poi. Alas, they are discontinued also, but still out there. Sierra tech said they act like hard cast on game.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems like too good of a bullet to let go. I know some folks think they are "light" but like the 300gr PT, in test after test, they penetrate as well or better than about any other jacketed bullet out there. Plus, they can be driven relatively quick and that helps a little with longer ranges. I know I have 3 boxes of the PT's for my 45-70 I am not likely to ever give up. Need to get some Speers or something and build an accompanying load with, just so I don't use them up. Scotty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts