Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomray, A local shop manager had unmatched wood and poor accuracy out of his new 41fg. Sent it back to marlin and after a lot of phone calls got it back the other day. He is off today and the weather is great so he will probably shoot it today. I'll hear tomorow how it shoots. He wasn't impressed with the 100ft target of over 1.3 something centers. While I was in there today [playing with my new 30TK] they were packing up another 41fg that had already been back and was going back for a 2nd time because of disapointing accuracy and unmatched wood. I've been considering buying one but now I don't know. What should one expect at 100 yards and why does some factory ammo do so poorly out of them? Are the bores larger than they used to be? ie: have the specs changed? Who makes your barrels? This is quicker than calling and waiting for a call-back. Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'am not tomray but why did your freind buy the gun if he didn't like the wood as far as accuracy 94s aren't bolt action target guns 3 to 4 in. groups at 100 yds are about normal IMHO

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He ordered it in and took what he got. Factory winchester 210gr gave a 6.5 inch spread at 50 yards. He had a reasonable under 4" at 100yds with speer reloads. Quite a difference. He shot it on thursday and it was much better with any ammo brand used. In fact he averaged 3" or less with several different factory loads. The wood sent was very nice and now the gun shoots very well with the new barrel. I'm just curious if this is a common situation when you order in a gun. I realize leverguns are not bolt guns. Been shooting over 45 years. Never was too worried about how good a lever grouped until I heard about his experience. He knows how to get accuracy from a gun. This one pissed him off with it's inconsistancy. Trouble is now I won't be able to talk him out of it. Thanks, Rick

·
Premium Member
11,003 Posts
Lantrad,
I'm sorry your friend had problems with his FG41. Let me try to answer your questions.

The wood: The blanks for the butt and the forestocks come from the same supplier. The blanks are all cut to flat rough size only. They are received on pallets and are not matched sets at this point. The stocks are fully machined and finished at Marlin.
The "matching" is done at assembly of the rifles on a "one on one" basis, and the technicians always try to match the grain with regard to the available wood choices at that particular time. In other words, they do the best they can in a production enviorment , but no two blanks are ever exactly alike....remember, no two trees are ever alike.
Accuracy: All Marlin rifles are targeted at 100 feet and must meet minimum accuracy standards, and when they don't, they are returned to gun service for evaluation and correction. How they perform in the field is difficult for me to state, due to variables such as weather conditions, ammo, shooter technique,(yes, I've seen some strange shooter techinques).
Barrels: All Marlin barrels are produced at Marlin in North Haven CT to SAAMI specs. Properly calibrated gages are available and used to confirm Chamber/bore dimensions of all barrels.
These lever guns are hand built in a labor intensive process requiring a large amount of handling and hand fitting in the areas of feeding,breeching and lockup. They are NOT designed as target rifles,although they do quite well, They are hunting/sporting rifles and 3" accuracy at 100 yards is not necessarily bad for a "rear locked","bolt in compression/receiver in tension" rifle. As you know, to wring out the optimum accuracy from any gun requires testing with different loads and bullets.
Triggers & Safeties:
Triggers of ALL rifles are designed and manufactured to pass specific drop and load bearing tests. Some triggers my seem better than others, but thats the "norm" when considering the manufacturing tolerances of the many components involved.
We now live in a world of litigation and drop/load bearing tests are now a necessary part of the process.....Thanks to the over abunbance of lawyers needing to make their monthy Mercedes/BMW Lease payments!!

The goal of Marlin Firearms Co. is to provide the BEST AMERICAN MADE lever gun at a competitive price to the consumer.
I'm proud of the fact that raw material comes in the north end of the building,and finished products go out the south end of the building !

We do it ALL right here in North Haven CT USA....... Not many manufacturers can say that anymore!
If you want a new FG41, buy it. We at Marlin will always stand behind our products.

Tomray
NRA LIFE

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tomray, Thanks for the info. I felt that I really didn't have much to worry about and you pretty much answered any concerns I had. Watching the way his gun was taken care of gives me even more appreciation for the Marlin company and it's employees. He was happy, and that says alot. Thanks again, Rick

G

·
I also have a FG, while I had no problems accuracy wise ( 1.5"@100 yds), I was not impressed with the results on deer :?

·
Registered
363 Posts
6Pt Sika, I'm interested to know what experience you had with your .41 Mag. Marlin, and a deer, where you weren't satisfied??? I have only killed one deer with my 1894S .41 Mag., but was completely satisfied with the performance.

I shot a medium sized Mule deer at about 90/95 yards, using my handload of 22.0 grains H110, behind a Sierra 210 grains JHP, CCI Large Pistol Mag. primer.

The Muley was "jolted", took about one step, and as I was aiming to fire again, went down. I did not fire a second round. The angle was just behind the left shoulder, forward, breaking the right shoulder.

Although that's the only deer I've killed with the Marlin .41 Mag., I thought it did quite well, at least for me, on that deer. One deer, however, ain't hardly " scientific," I know. Still, I'd have no qualms using it on another deer.

L.W.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well said Tomray. And Hi.
The service at Marlin has been the best I have ever seen no matter what the problem was. They have gone out of there way and taken care of anything I or my sons have ever taken to them. They are first rate in my book. And boy am I happy I had them make a 38/55 out of my old 30-30.
It's the best shooting cast bullet leaver action gun I have ever had.
Hope to see you at the Big-E gun show.
>>> Tombstone

1 - 8 of 8 Posts