Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
28" heavy barrel in 218 bee originally 22 hornet. 85 % case very good wood, very good bore, missing front swivel and has rubber buttplate. Includes a 12x Litschert external adjustment scope. Also has short striker option and adjustable trigger. Will trade for Marlin or Marlins of equal value. (Lever or pumps) moodyholler

Reactions: lever addict

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will get pictures out tonight. thanks,moodyholler

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there glenlivet -- Welcome to Marlin Owners. This post is eight years old! I'd doubt the rifle is still available. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Darn--I really am getting old--I usually miss them by 10 minutes--seems I'm 8 years late on this one.--:hmmmm:

Steve

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
For the number of guys looking for a 417 Walnut Hill been rebarrled to very vintage cartridge, and a scope that while top of the line in its day, is actually impractical too use, the gun might still be in the guys safe.

The rebarrel has wiped out a lot of the collectors value. Iffen I had it though, I would mount a modern scope, and go out lay low ground squirrels into either paradise, or hades, depending on how they lived here on earth.:biggrin:

I have had my eye out for a Stevens 44 1/2 action, at an affordable price for some time, for such use. I have a Win Lowall project going right now. And the 218 may be the round I choose.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Thats probably subjective. Ya have about an inch or so of eye relief with those old scopes like that. And in an overcast or less than ideal light condition, they simply will not allow what a modern scope will as far as definition under all conditions.

Unless you can find a perfect specimen, they are often cloudy, or have internal dust.

I shoot ground squirrels each spring. Nothing all that technically impractical about them I suppose, but I sure aint gonna switch from a good Luepold 6.5 to 20 or any other modern 1 inch tube scope for that use.

That is just a personal opinion. No slam really meant against the scopes or those that like them:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts