Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having not fired anything but jacketed bullets in my .41s, I bought some D+J hardcast 215 gr truncated cone slugs and loaded some up over Blue Dot powder to test function in the Marlin levergun and Ruger Redhawk. I spent considerable time cleaning any copper fouling out of the bores and slugged both barrels for size, all this prelimenary to casting some bullets of my own. The Redhawk miked at exactly .4100 stem to stern, the 1894 FG a tad bigger at .4106. The D+J bullets also miked at precisely .410.

I shot at 40 yards from a sandbagged rest. The Redhawk put five shots into 1.4" at an average velocity of 1318 fps, extreme velocity spread of 17, and left no leading in the bore. The 1894 FG, with one grain less powder charge, could only put five shots into 5.5" at 1409 fps. The bore was left, well, in need of cleaning. Repeated scrubbing with solvent and brushes didn't get all the lead out, an old borebrush wrapped with a small chunk of copper scrubbing pad did.

Veral Smith, in his book "Jacketed Performance With Cast Bullets", says that revolvers will perform well with cast slugs at or slightly over bore diameter. Mine did. Veral says that leading can result from shooting undersize hardcast bullets at lower velocities. My 1894 sure shows it! Veral says that micro-groove barrels need at least bore diameter slugs for best accuracy. Again, my results are right in line. And his advise to use copper scrubbing pad material to clean out a lead fouled bore worked beautifully. Mr. Smith sure seems to know of what he speaks.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yep bore diameter if not .001" larger for Micro Groove barrels. Might want to try .411" bullets.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I have not shot the 41, but in using my 45, 357, and 45-70, that 1400fps is kind of a break-point in velocity where accuracy is greatly enhanced by gas checks. This increases the cost, but also cuts down on leading to almost nill in my guns. I had some plinking loads made up for the 357 at around 1100fps that shot very accurately, but found I liked the flatter trajectory of a higher velocity loaded cartridge. My 30-30 shot out of a microgroove accurately at over 1400fps without a gas check. I think I achieved acceptable accuracy at up to 1600fps., but found that accuracy very much diminish after that. Gas checks can take me to any velocity I would normally shoot jacketed in these rounds. I always size at least .001 over bore diameter, and have had no problem with them .002 over. Good luck, and have fun!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm still working on the 210gr xtp's

That seemed to work well in the Redhawk. I don't know about you, but I wish my FG had ballard rifling.

I've done some testing with the H4227 without much satisfaction on the xtp 210gr. I've compiled alot more data to test from the sierra manual than any other source, and plan to start on some other combinations.
Have you tried any 170 gr JSP in your .41's?
RV

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RV,

Yes, the Redhawk seems to shoot just about anything very well. I'm not about to panic with the FG after such an abreviated session with cast bullets. Everything I've read indicates that it's possible to get excellent accuracy with cast bullets in the microgroove barrel, just takes some tinkering to get the bullet size and lube right. I'm not opposed to tinkering with my guns. :D

The first jacketed bullets I used in the .41 were the Sierra 170 gr JHCs. They would hold inside 4" consistently at 100 yds out of the Redhawk. I took one deer with that load and wasn't overwhelmed with the performance. It did OK in that the deer ran about 40 yds and dropped, but the shot was the perfect angle into the chest from slightly behind and the bullet didn't exit. It mushroomed beautifully, but I doubt that the performance would have been even that good had the shot presentation been anything different. I concluded that a heavier bullet is in order for hunting deer size game with the .41. Last year, I took two does with the Hornady 210 gr XTP bullet and the performance was much better--both dropped at bullet impact--but both were taken with the FG with much greater bullet velocity. One was spine shot and the other hit through the chest on an angling forward presentation. I like the XTP bullet with either H110 or Lil-gun powder but I'm determined to be using my own cast slugs by the time next hunting season rolls around. What can I say, I'm an addicted victim. :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
Fedral 250 grain cast core

(250 gr Fedral Cast Core) I did some tests last year with that factory loaded round. My FG shot 3" groups at 100 yards, and I took a large fox with that round. Very pleasent round to shoot in the FG.
My redhawk shot that same round at around 4-1/2" @ 100. I think in the FG that the heavier slug probably swells to fills the bore up making better contact with the rifling in the FG. ( not sure)
I've tested a few 210 gr cast without much promise. After I settle in on what makes My FG happy in jacketed bullets, I'll test those 210 grainers a little better.
I've always liked heavy, slow, Quiet arrows to hunt with, I'm starting to think slow and heavy might be the ticket with cast as well.
Keep testing Retro
RV

·
Registered
979 Posts
Which Issue of Rifle Mag. ??

I can't seem to find the article on .41 mag.,in the last few issuesof Rifle Mag.

Buckeye

1 - 8 of 8 Posts