Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering if any of you have found this to be true. In testing both the 44 Mag and the 41 Mag in the 1894 I find that the 41's felt recoil is less than the 44's even when they are both loaded with the same weight bullet at the same load,with the same powder. What say you?

Happy trails

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've shot them both quite a bit. I can't say I've loaded the exact same weight bullets and powder charges in each, but have come pretty close. (Is that scientific, or what??) I think that recoil in the .44 Mag., is sharper than in the .41 Mag.

I can say, however, that in actual killing of game animals, deer and Black bear, and a few piggies, (or coyotes and some ground squirrels and water filled gallon jugs), I can not tell any PRACTICAL field difference between the two. I will say that I prefer the .41 Mag.

As long as one understands the limitations of pistol calibers in rifles/carbines, I find either works well.

Just my subjective observations.

L.W.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I don't believe you can safely load a .41mag at the max level that you can in a .44mag case. However; a .41 loaded to the max, and a .44 with the same charge and bullet weight will arrive at the target a little later than will the .41. the recoil will be practically the same if the only difference in the loads is the case being loaded.

The .41 rules! But the .429 magnum is a good cartridge as well.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
How can you tell? Maybe it is my dead shoulder, but I feel very,very little recoil from either! Neither would give a bit of practical difference in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
With identical powder/charge, identical bullet weigh/kind/construction the .41 would have the advantage in SD which should translate to more downrange FPS/KE. I've had a 7 1/2" SBH and didn't like it. I now have a 5.5" SS Accusport Bisley in 41 and love it. The lighter bisley recoils less than the SBH in .44 with comp. rounds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts