Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does Marlin make their 41 mag with Micro-Groove® rifling when their other rifles have the Ballard type groves?

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Most likely just an abundance of micro-groove barrels left over from a production run. I'd bet they don't sell too many 41s compared to the 44s/45s which means the cutters probably aren't even close to wearing out.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yep, and they probably had to produce or purchase a minimum number of buttons/tooling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next question. How is it for cast bullets.

I know this controversy goes back and forth, but wondered if anyone has experience with a .41 mag.

I have a feeling that each individual barrel is different.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I'd wager on the individual barrel theory, too. I have one that has fired four shot groups under 3/4" at fifty yards with a cast bullet load. Same rifle has fired sub 2" groups at 100 yards with jacketed bullets. I can find no fault with microgroove barrels in the .41.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
As long as your cast bullets are .002" or better above bore diameter, you should be fine. Microgroove barrels got a bad rap years ago by those who used soft undersized bullets, and consequently got lousy accuracy and barrell leading. Go figure.
Gas checks are a good idea at the higher velocities, as well.

Papajohn

·
Registered
957 Posts
Problem ain't the microgrooves; it's the way Marlin abuses the barrels. You can often feel tight spots where the name is rolled on and where the barrel was broached for take sights. You simply are not going to get good cast bullet accuracy from a barrel with tight spots.

·
Registered
363 Posts
41Retro said:
I'd wager on the individual barrel theory, too. I have one that has fired four shot groups under 3/4" at fifty yards with a cast bullet load. Same rifle has fired sub 2" groups at 100 yards with jacketed bullets. I can find no fault with microgroove barrels in the .41.
My experience mirrors .41Retro's.

Mine is an 1894S .41 that I bought in 1987. Shoots various cast bullets and jacketed bullets accurately.

L.W.

·
Registered
455 Posts
*** DOLLAR SIGNS ***

--- I have also heard and read , in many places , that the Micro- Groove barrels are much less expensive to manufacture .

I like everything about Marlin Leverguns except that damn Microbubble rifling .

You know , with something like a Firearm , with a fine History , -- and a following of loyal fans , -- (and especially with
" Cowboy "- Shooting gaining popularity ) ; -- seems like they'd give up those marketing and profit motives a little and try to improve the weapon in internal ways , without disturbing the outward appearance that made the rifle legendary .

I have a theory that the reason that the Winchester '94 lost a lot of its following was due to the fact that they screwed it up with an ugly pushbutton safety and that grotesque Angle- ejection . --- Those magnificent looks , just wern't the same - ??

Volkswagen had the right stuff with the Bug , -- the philosophy was leave the owtward appearance alone , and keep improving the innards .

That was one fine strategy , -- people appreciated it and VW Bugs became legendary .

I agree with those who say the Ballard Type rifling is better in most applications , moreover it was in keeping with the traditional .

Marlin seemed to recognize this and went back to Ballard in some editions ; -- but the effort was half-assed .

-- Why would they improve some models to the Ballard , -- and then profane my beloved .41 with Microbubble ??

--- Re- issuing the .41 Carbine was a stroke of genius , -- then they blew it with the rifling .

Wish Marlin would rethink their fine Leverguns . :D

------------- MMCOUGAR .

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
Re: *** DOLLAR SIGNS ***

--- Re- issuing the .41 Carbine was a stroke of genius , -- then they blew it with the rifling .

Wish Marlin would rethink their fine Leverguns . :D

------------- MMCOUGAR .[/quote]

...and the pistol grip stock...

...and the cheesy checkering...

...and the poor quality control...

*sigh* But I still feel fortunate to have one of the beasts.

·
Registered
316 Posts
MUZZLEDUSTER said:
I have a .41 CCL (Cowboy). Shoots great with both cast and jacketed. I use a .411 hard cast and Trail boss powder.
MUZZLEDUSTER :D
MD,
Is your CCL a 6 groove 'ballard'?
Cheers,
R*2

1 - 13 of 13 Posts