Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My theory is that the bore in a 41 Marlin is a couple thousandths larger than the bore in 41 mag pistols. This would explain why some 41 Marlin's do not shoot jacketed bullets very well, but all 41 Marlin's seem to shoot cast bullets very good. I do not have a 41 pistol to measure the bore. Someone that has both, maybe you would measure both and report your findings?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Taylor,

Slugged and measured in .41 mag caliber:

Ruger Redhawk: .4100

Marlin 1894 FG: .4106

With a little load tinkering, I've found cast loads that will shoot great in each of them and jacketed loads that will do the same in each, just not necessarily the same load in both. Each firearm is its own unique story. I don't believe the oft quoted mantra that micro-groove rifled barrels won't shoot cast bullets accurately. Would be interesting to hear how others' measured bore diameters compare.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. I am having a hard time figuring out why my 41 will not shoot jacketed bullets, but does a great job with hard cast bullets. I have about 175 Hornaday XTP 210 grain hollow points and about 50 Remington 210 grain soft points. I would love to be able to shoot them. But my groups are no better than shotgun patterns, complete with flyers. I have read many threads by 41 Marlin owners that have had the same problem with jacketed bullets. I guess it is just one of life's mysteries.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
What firearm are you working with that the 210 grain XTPs won't shoot? I got great groups in my FG using a less than maximum charge of Lil'gun in Remington cases and Remington primers.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I purchased a new 41 mag Marlin FG rifle. With 250 grain Cast Performance bullets, it shoots great. But with jacketed bullets, it shoots terrible. I tried H110 and 2400 pistol powder.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I just checked through my records and found that my FG shot fairly well with 220 gr Speer JSWCs and Sierra 170 gr JHCs, both over H-110. 5 shot groups in the 1 1/2" range at 50 yards. There has to be a jacketed bullet-powder combo that your rifle likes. Its just a matter of experimenting enough to find it. I've tried a number of different powders in my .41s but really like the results I've gotten with Lil'gun with both cast and jacketed bullets. Keep looking and good luck. The .41 is too good a cartridge to give up on. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to stick with 250 grain hard cast bullets. I am shooting about 1800 ft/sec with the 41 mag Marlin and it's not the max load. I just wanted to be able to shoot jacketed bullets because they can be purchased locally. I have to order the cast bullets. Also, jacketed bullets are lighter and with reduced powder, they have less recoil. I've ordered some lapping bullets to fire lap the barrel. I do not like to fire lap a gun because it causes unnessary wear on the throat, but sometimes it makes a big difference in accurancy.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've had excellent results with 210 xtp over 19.5 gr w-296, with LP primers (not magnum)

Also 17 gr AA#9 produced the best accuracy with the XTP in the FG.

Cast loads have been not good so far but I'm waiting on a 240 gr mould to give another try.

G

·
RV Stallard said:
I've had excellent results with 210 xtp over 19.5 gr w-296, with LP primers (not magnum)

Also 17 gr AA#9 produced the best accuracy with the XTP in the FG.

Cast loads have been not good so far but I'm waiting on a 240 gr mould to give another try.
I have the Lyman 215gr gas check mold ,the bullets come out great ,but I'm having a hard time with the gaschecks :( I prefer casting and shooting GC bullets and this is the first I have had this problem with :?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts