Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The group above was shot in an indoor shooting range at 25 yards with no table for support. The first shot was the upper right handed one and of the next 4, 2 were shot at 4power and the last 2 at 1.25 power. To say that I'm pleased would be an underststement. I have found that the best bullet for my 2 Marlin 41 Mags seems to be the Cast Preformance 250 gr. This is the bullet that Grizzly uses that this group was shot with. My other gun (a FG) shoots the Federal cast core load almost as good. So what do you think? I hope this helps you 41 shooters out there. Ron

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
You don't have to try too hard to convince me! :D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hobie I guess I had one of my senior moments, haha. This is the Grizzly load using the Cast Preformance 250 gr. WFNGC. Grizzly says this load is running at 1325 fps. I would guess in a 6" vented barrel? Anyway I haven't had the chance to check the velosity out of my 16 1/2 " barrel but plan to soon. I've been trying to get a good load with the BTB 265 gr. bullet using LilGun, got a good group with 17 1/2 gr. of LilGun but the book says I can go to 21.3 gr. The 17 1/2 gr. load was going at 1525 fps out of my 20" barrel fg. But I would like to get more speed if I can keep the good groups. Ron

·
Registered
688 Posts
Thanks! Don't you love it when they do that? :D

·
Registered
455 Posts
*** OFFHAND ! ***

---- NICE GROUP :!:

------------------------ MMCOUGAR .

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Further testiment:
I've been playing with working up a load with home cast 220 grain bullets from an LBT WFN mould. It drops wheelweight bullets at 225 grains that have consistently grouped into four shot groups from 1.5 to 2.5 inches at 50 yards. Once in awhile I'd get four shots into 1 to 1.25 inches. I tried three different brands of primers, three brands of cases, three different powders, three different lubes, water quenched the bullets and air cooled them. I have no reservations about hunting with the best of the loads but just couldn't come up with that magic load---until yesterday. I have almost never gotten better results with magnum primers but have some on hand. So just for the heck of it, I tried Federal Gold Medal 155M magnum large pistol primers. This with Starline brass, a moderate charge of Lil'gun powder, and LBT blue lube. The first three shots went into one slightly enlarged hole. Might have gotten a case of nerves after that cause the fourth shot strayed just a bit, openning up the group to .59" center-to-center. This is out of a Marlin 1894 FG and, yes, it has microgroove rifling.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Way to go 41Retro - I too am in love with Lil'Gun powder for my 41 and 32/20. Will have to try the Mag primers (didn't think of that) Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
good group, bet that was with a blackhawk. I made one like that once with our blackhawk .41.

G

·
I have a 1894FG , and it shoots a handload of 21 grains of H110 and a Nosler 210 grain HP. It will normally keep 3 shots in 2" at 100 yards.
I decided to take this rifle hunting year before last and killed a couple deer with it . However I was not impressed , shot first deer and it was about 40 yards away. The deer stood there like I missed , so I shot again and it WALKED over behind a tree. The other was still standing there at about 50 yards so I shot her and again I thought I missed so I fired again and this one walked down in a gully. So I climbed down out of my tree to see if I could find blood . The first deer was laying behind the tree dead and the second deer was in the gully dead. Both deer had two holes in the heart lung area where I aimed. Even recovered a slug from each. But I was not impressed with the reaction these deer gave after being shot. True it got the job done , but I prefer a reaction that gives me a better idea if I connected. :?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have a Contender Carbine 16¼" in .41 Mag and the gun likes 22.5 gr. Lil'Gun under the Hornady 210 gr. XTP which gets 1850 fps out of the short barrel. I bet one of those long 24" barrels will get almost 2000 fps. A fun carry gun and good shooter. So now I'm looking at an LTD but wondering if $639 is too much money.

G

·
Hobie said:
I have a Contender Carbine 16¼" in .41 Mag and the gun likes 22.5 gr. Lil'Gun under the Hornady 210 gr. XTP which gets 1850 fps out of the short barrel. I bet one of those long 24" barrels will get almost 2000 fps. A fun carry gun and good shooter. So now I'm looking at an LTD but wondering if $639 is too much money.

The shop at Stuarts Draft has a 41 LTD NIB $899.00. Place is called Domiion Outdoors. Bought my 1894P from them . It was used with box and I got a decent price , but there new stuff is ahh little stiff :?

G

·
Hobie , I would like one of the 1894CCL's in 41 mag. Just to go with the rest of my Cowboy rifles. But the prices on the SS LTD guns are unreal . Local dealer has one in 45LC for $550 that I think I will take.

G

·
Hobie ,
I was gonna come over today and check out the shop in Staunton that was robbed. But I got a big dose of the flu , so that was put on hold :? Does that shop have many older collectible Marlin's like 1893's etc. ?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I prefer a reaction that gives me a better idea if I connected
This past season, I used the above listed load with 225 grain homecast bullets to take the biggest bodied deer I've shot since 1969. It was facing almost directly toward me. The bullet took out about a 3" section of neck spine upon entering, passed through the chest cavity and was found under the skin at the rear of the ribcage. This deer gave a reaction that it was hit. It dropped instantly. :)

G

·
41Retro said:
I prefer a reaction that gives me a better idea if I connected
This past season, I used the above listed load with 225 grain homecast bullets to take the biggest bodied deer I've shot since 1969. It was facing almost directly toward me. The bullet took out about a 3" section of neck spine upon entering, passed through the chest cavity and was found under the skin at the rear of the ribcage. This deer gave a reaction that it was hit. It dropped instantly. :)

I'm quite sure if I had hit the spine I would have had the same reaction as you. But I normally aim for the pocket behind the front leg on whichever side is facing me. Its kinda hard to break the back or neck when you are shooting at the bottom region of the chest cavity :!:

·
Registered
17 Posts
6pt-sika said:
True it got the job done , but I prefer a reaction that gives me a better idea if I connected. :?
You might try the Sierra 170 gr JHC. You should get close to 2000 fps out of your FG.

I blasted a mid sized buck in the heart lung area like your deer with a .270 and 130gr Sierra SP with a muzzle velocity of 3000+ fps. Range was 40yds. The buck still ran out of sight about 75-100yds. That's hunting...once you pull the trigger you really can't be sure what will happen.

The other option is a hard cast bullet and shoot for the opposite shoulder. Break the shoulder and they should at least go down. Maybe not for keeps, but we are talking deer here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
6pt-sika said:
True it got the job done , but I prefer a reaction that gives me a better idea if I connected. :?
You might try the Sierra 170 gr JHC. You should get close to 2000 fps out of your FG.

I blasted a mid sized buck in the heart lung area like your deer with a .270 and 130gr Sierra SP with a muzzle velocity of 3000+ fps. Range was 40yds. The buck still ran out of sight about 75-100yds. That's hunting...once you pull the trigger you really can't be sure what will happen.

The other option is a hard cast bullet and shoot for the opposite shoulder. Break the shoulder and they should at least go down. Maybe not for keeps, but we are talking deer here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts