Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's just say I've been looking.......:hmmmm:......for about ten years. Either rode hard and put away wet, outbid (7 times), or just plain gone by the time I got back with MORE cash. They've been a hard critter to track.

Last night it all came together under the auspices of a very high BUY IT NOW price tag, I finally won an unfired NIB JM stamp Marlin. Now all I have to do is explain it to the wife and get the cash together to pay the bill when it arrives.:flute:

I've ghosted here many times over the years, reading this post and that. Appreciate the great information! Anyone care to post pics or share some load data? I have a couple other rigs in .41 mag that I've got dialed in. Not much experience in levers, but did cut my teeth as a ten year old on an Ithaca M49, one cartridge at a time.

I looked for this gun on the premise of straight-wall cartridge allowance in Ohio's deer season, and now that it's happening, the timing is perfect.:biggrin:

Matt

41mag.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CD,
Much appreciated, already have a nice RCBS set in 41. Rem. Mag. Was wondering if there was any load data for the Marlin rifle? Got a ton of pistol stuff here, just wanted to research it a little...

Matt

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm jealous. The .41 is one of my favorites.

Reactions: .41 Mag

·
Registered
156 Posts
Beautiful! I've been looking for quite a while myself. Congratulations on your find. Let us know how well it shoots; we'll drool some more.
Fred

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just load for my pistol and then see how they shoot in the rifle.

I did shoot a deer about 125 yards a few years ago ,with a 170 seirra sportmaster Hollow point,didn't move at the shot.
I now shoot cast mostly and have been playing with both flat base and hollow point with some good groups.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sniper,

Sheesh, your list is impressive. Looks like you've got a lil' .41 mag bug as well....

Reactions: COYOTE222

·
Registered
187 Posts
BEAUTIFUL rifle! Congratulations!

Luis

·
Premium Member
4,736 Posts
Congrats on the find and Welcome to MO! The .41 is on my "Wish List" too. You done good!

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
41Mag, hitting the "Buy it now" button was a smart move. That is how I just bought my 336CB in 38-55 to prevent being outridden. You will enjoy the 41 Mag rifle, I shot my deer last year with mine. I don't have access to my load data at the moment but I use home cast bullets - Lyman #2 alloy in an RCBS mold and W296 powder with a Magnum CCI pistol primer so I can also use them in my Ruger Blackhawk. Have fun, get some meat for the freezer and enjoy it.

Jack

·
Premium Member
17,017 Posts
Hey .41,

Welcome to MO.

Fine looking 1894!

Forecast: Full freezer ahead. LOL

Later, Mark

·
Registered
957 Posts
.41mag,
Try the loads that work well in your revolver(s) and see what your rifle tells you. You may be pleasantly surprised!
My CCL .41 does well with the following:
Rem 200 gr. JHP, 21.0 gr. WW 296 = 1733 fps with an SD of 14. Temp. was ± 68°. +/-2.0" at 100 yds. w/open sights
The Hornady 210 gr. XTP with the same load does equally well. I have yet to score a whitetail with either load, nothing in my comfort zone with open sights - yet.
I'm still working on a cast bullet load (other than a "plinker"), so no real data there.
Your mileage may vary, these were safe in MY RIFLE - so start low and work up.
Good luck - having a .41 mag is always fun, but a rifle AND revolver is pure MAGIC!

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
love it when a plan comes together, you are very patient but looks like it worked out. glad you have it and NIB to boot............good job and thanks for sharing. as far as explaining to the wife................well you better buy her a couple of pairs of nice shoes...............and make sure the couch is comfortable.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
.41 Mag,

I've taken several deer with the Hornady 210 gr. XTP in an FG. That bullet works fine, but I prefer a 225 gr. cast WFN bullet from an LBT mould. There are commercial look-alikes available. The cast bullet penetrates better, seems to whack them harder, and destroys almost no meat. With either bullet, my FG will shoot sub 1" four shot groups at 50 yards........with Lil'gun powder. You'll be cheating yourself if you don't give Lil'gun a try.

·
Registered
363 Posts
CD,
" ... Was wondering if there was any load data for the Marlin rifle? ..." Matt
Congratulations on your new 1894S in .41 Mag. I'll bet you have fun with it.

I have been shooting my S&W 57 .41 Mag. since 1980 and in 1987 bought a new Marlin 1894S in .41 Mag. to go with it. I've used several loads for the rifle, but have found one I really like in the Sierra 210 grains JHP bullet in front of 18.5 grains of 2400 powder. Accurate and have put down a medium Mule deer at about 95 yards with no trouble. That load is a bomb on coyotes, too.

Another great factory bullet -- if you can find them -- for the .41 Mag. is the Speer 200 grains JHP. That one too, really knocks coyotes into the next county. I use Blue Dot with that Speer bullet, but some people say not to use Blue Dot in the .41 Mag. I've had no trouble with it, but am out of those 200 grains Speer bullets so not using Blue Dot at the moment.

Bet of luck.

L.W.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts