Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*** ATTENTION HOBIE ***

Many Moons ago , I told HOBIE I'd tell him how my New FG came out , -- especially with regard to feeding Heavy LBT bullets , as I remember .

I had a chance to get a brand new FG at my local Gun Shoppe , and at the time they were hard to come by . -- I wanted to use Beartooth's 280 Gr. LBT Hardcasts .

The damn thing , out of the box , wouldn't feed anything reliably . -- ( At least I tried three Factory nose shapes , and it wouldn't feed reliably enough for me ) . I'm a Southpaw , and I tried cycling fast , slow , and at all reasonable shooting angles .

The Federal 250 Gr. CastCore Hunting types wouldn't feed at all , no matter how I played with the action .

I called a well known Gunsmith who specializes in Leverguns. I Won't mention his name , because , combined with my research on the subject , I really believe that the 280's crimped into the recommended groove , are too long ( OAL ) for the action to accomadate .

First , I sent the Rifle back to Marlin . They replaced the buttstock , ( it had a couple of flaws I wasn't satisfied with ) , and did their best feeding job on it . -- They told me of three Factory rounds that they had tested in it , and said it cycled perfectly with live fire . -- ( None of the bullet designs were LBT types ) . -- Excellent service , though , -- they had it back to me in 13 days , -- total elapsed time ; -- picked up shipping both ways .

Then I sent it off to the Gunsmith , with 11 dummy rounds of the BB 280's .

He returned it to me , pretty quick , but it still didn't cycle very well , and I'd get a jam about every third round , ( average , trying fast , slow , etc . ) .

The purpose of this weapon is for backpack , where light wt. and compactness is important . I wanted infallible fast cycling in case of Bear-Attack defense use . ( I know , I know , -- .41 Mag , is , NO-way , Bear-stopping medicine , -- just better than a sharp stick ; -- but that's the concept I customized the gun around ) .

Not only that , but I'm a long-time .41 Mag. Handgun fan .

The second time I got it back , it fed the factory Federal 250 Cast-Core's infallibly , -- Perfect :!: --- But , although improved , still won't do the 280's .

I had the BBl. chopped to 17 inches , a state of the art buttpad put on , and the magazine altered to the muzzle . -- The action is slicked up better than cat kaka , and I had a larger white front bead installed .

Very pleased with the balance and conformation of this little 6 Lb. carbine .

Guess I'll try some Beartooth 265 Grainers , and if they don't cycle , I'll resign myself to the Federal 250's , -- Maybe with a 280 in the spout for Bear Country .

What a Saga , -- took months .

--------- Nose to the Trail , -- MMCOUGAR .

·
Registered
688 Posts
And you can bet I read every word.

I've been looking at a .41 rifle at one of the nearly local slobber shops. $639 and I think it is marked "LTD" & "Cowboy" is blue steel, seems longer than 20" barrel, octagon, straight grip. No checkering. Seems like a nice gun but not so sure I want to sink $639 + tax into it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Aren't the "LTD" and Cowboy" models with the straight stock the old model 1894 "S" or "CCL"? The only ones I've seen have been over 800 bucks. I am in the process of getting one of the 1894FGs before they are all gone, but I always preferred the straight stock to the pistol grips, but I digress.
I spoke with Marshall Stanton over on www.shooterforum.com about loading with the heavier bullets and he has a great article about just that on his website. Basically you have to modify the back of the action at the feed ramp to allow the longer bullets to lift into position. The article explains how to do this safely, but also suggests you have a smith do it if you are unsure. I know of one person that has the old style 1894S and shoots www.castperformance.com, 250 gr GC bullets without any trouble. I have been working with the 250 to 255 gr bullets by both CPB and BTB in my other 41s and find them all to be very good bullets.
As for the 41 not being bear stopping medicine, I know 4 hunting guides and 6 fishing guides in Alaska that will argue that point. Being a diehard 41 fan, I can say that with the heavy bullets, you can load the 41 to do anything the 44 will do ballistically, and do it without putting your hand to sleep in the process. But, again I digress.
Check out the article by Marshall or e-mail him, and I have no doubt you will be able to fix the problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The 1894S that I have been shooting for the last 15 years cycles the LBT 250-265 grain bullets with little problem. Another good one if you want a REAL heavy is the 300 grain SSK from Penn Bullets. That has a short Truncated Cone shaped nose that deeply penetrates and feeds like a jacketed bullet. I have not chronoed the load yet but 19.0 grains of H110 even can be shot out of S&W revolvers...and is about as much powder as you can stuff in the case.

Bob

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hobie, Let me know if you don't want the LTD. 41 Cowboy. I have been looking for one for a couple of years.

·
Registered
363 Posts
MMCougar - " ... Guess I'll try some Beartooth 265 Grainers , ..."

MM, the 265 grains Beartooth Bullets in .41 Mag. WILL NOT come close to feeding in my 1894S .41 Mag. 250 grainers will.

The 265s work great in my S&W 57, but not in the rifle.

FWIW.

L.W.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
*** LEANWOLF ( REPLY ) ***

It will be a while before I can get and load some 265 Grainers . -- but will report here , if and when .

Right now , If nothing feeds but Federal's 250 cast core , LBT . I won't feel too bad , because that's a hell of a round , ( IMHO ) . --- But I wanted the 280 Gr.

The owner of Beartooth Bullets , told me on the phone , that the 280 Gr. , was originally designed for revolvers , ( with the long cylinder free-bore ) . --- My take was that he was kind of gently trying to talk me out of the 280's for Marlin use , -- although he didn't say so , in as many words .

Have to wait and see .

Will report .

---- Nose To the Trail , --- MMCOUGAR .

·
Registered
688 Posts
Crazy Horse said:
Hobie, Let me know if you don't want the LTD. 41 Cowboy. I have been looking for one for a couple of years.
I think I've done so TWICE. :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts