Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting my feet wet casting bullets for the .41 mag. The availability of gas checks is limited to the non crimp-on Lymans in that caliber. Question for those with experience casting in this caliber: Is it possible to use the .416 crimp-on gas checks on .41 bullets without deforming them beyond serviceability?

·
Registered
625 Posts
41Retro, I poised that question to Hornaday and they said use the 416 gc's
Havant tried them yet as I still have about 3000 Lyman gc's before I need to get some more ( couple of days shooting :lol: ) I use them on my 215gr swc I hard cast.

Gun Runner

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Gun Runner.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Gas Checks

41Retro said:
Thanks, Gun Runner.
I would drop leftoverdj from this forum or graybeards a PM. He knows more about cast bullets than Mr. Lyman. He gave me some 300 213gr .411 SWC that I plan on testing as soon as I get the jacketed loads figured out.
Good Luck
RV

G

·
Only 'cause Mr. Lyman is long dead, RV.

If I had to use .416 GCs on .410 bullets, I'd anneal them first. Just spread them out in a skillet in one layer and heat until you can see the color change and then let cool. You can dump them in water if you are in a hurry. This softens them so they will swage down easier and reduces springback.

There is also a small maker of GCs operating as "Bullet Swaging Supply". A Google will find his phone number. He just might be making .410 GCs. I have not tried his products, but he is well spoken of.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts