Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to end up with optimal loads for whitetails for the FG rifle. Have played with water quenched 220 grain GCs, BHN of 19. At 1650 fps. these go through 23 inches of newsprint without expanding a lick. Just finished casting some of these and air cooling them to a BHN of 11. At a starting load velocity of 1360 fps they do the same thing through the now dry newsprint. I expected the softer slugs to expand even at this lower velocity. Perking up the velocity shouldn't be a problem. Getting acceptable accuracy without leading hasn't been a problem. Anybody have any advice as to a good hardness/velocity combination to strive for with cast bullets in the .41 for deer?

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'd take the penetration and not worry about the expansion. Either the Keith or the LBT style bullets will give you plenty of hole without expansion.

If you really want to use cast bullets and still want expansion, your best bet is two alloy bullets. Make up a dipper that will hold about 90 grains of lead. Run pots holding both your normal alloy and pure lead. Get both of them and your mould as hot as you dare and put a dipper of lead in the mould before topping off with alloy. Water quenching does not harden the lead nose. Inspect hard and cull any bullets that did not fully fuse.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts