Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been using 50grn Hornady V-max bullets for foxes in my .222 for a long time now, but I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about 40grn or even 35grn bullets.
I have asked this question on another forum, but the general consensus was that they were too prone to being bucked by the wind.
I find this a bit strange because the same people who decried these bullets, were full of praise for the little .17 HMR, which to my mind would be even more prone to being blown off by the wind. :?
Would welcome any comments on this, good or bad.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very interesting, and as my main interest is .22 target rifle (using Tenex of course), I have access to loads of cases, and if I only collect my own then they are all going to be from the same batch.
I bought a book some years ago, called “Advanced Gunsmithing” by W.J Vickery, and it shows how to build a press for making your own bullets using spent cases. A bit over-the-top for modern loading practices, but still very similar to the manner in which you describe.
It certainly takes the art of re-loading to another level.

·
Registered
154 Posts
tenex -

The 35gr VMax is one of our favorite bullets for the 218 bee or reduced 222 or 223 loads. It may be more prone to wind deflection... but that's part of shooting in the wind - reading it and correcting for it. This target www.gmdr.com/levern/218beekeeper.jpg (10 shots, 50 yrds) is in general how we think of the 35gr'er. [have tried the 40 vmax and don't get anywhere near the same results.] The other bullet we like for the same use is Nosler's 40gr BT. [btw the 35 and the 218 are the other bullet/cartridge combination we're planning to shoot for RanchDog's Postal Match II - the first being 4570 + 430gr OT rnfpgc.]

do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts