Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
. . . I have a very accurate load with 400gr speers and 405gr cast performance.
Interestingly, of all the bullets I shot through my Classic Model 1895, my two most accurate loads are also with the 400-grain Speer and the Cast Performance 405-grainer with gas check. I drive them both at 1,800 fps. I've killed deer with both. As an all-round bullet for Alaska, I'd lean toward the Cast Performance, but I'm just a deer hunter from Ohio with no bear/moose experience, so a bigger-than-deer expert I ain't!
[/QUOTE]
Judson, how accurate are those 405 grain bullets? Do you have anything on paper? I am about to order some gas checks. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I still prefer a jacketed bullet that opens up in game. I have never had an issue with any jacketed bullet not penetrating completely through deer, and then way beyond into the dirt.
My worst DRT guns are a patched round ball in the flintlock and the 50-70 Govt. The bullet in the 50-70 is nearly pointed (450 grain service bullet) so it just punches a 1/2" hole. It just takes deer a bit to leak out from either of these.
The 300 jacket bullet at 2060 fps from the 1895XLR crushes deer on the spot. I have yet to shoot one with the 400JFP out of the Trapdoor carbine at 1360 fps, but I am sure it will do just fine as this is the intended velocity of this bullet.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Hey Gunman - here’s a pic of a group with the Cast Performance 405-grainers (with gas check). At 100 yards the groups open up a bit, but are still ”minute of deer.”
I get the same results with my own cast 405gr bullets at 100yds using IMR4198. That is a great target and they shouldn't open up much more at 100yds. Definitely will put meat in the freezer.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts