Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone remember what the load data was that one of our members posted for the Rem. 405gr bullet & the 350 gr bullet. If I remember he posted the load for each. One was hitting 3" high at 100 yards, & the other was dead on using the same sight picture. Thanks 444 ??? ??? ???

·
Registered
584 Posts
444nut said:
Does anyone remember what the load data was that one of our members posted for the Rem. 405gr bullet & the 350 gr bullet. If I remember he posted the load for each. One was hitting 3" high at 100 yards, & the other was dead on using the same sight picture. Thanks 444 ??? ??? ???
I shoot the 405 Rem in my 1895CB.

It's most accurate load is.

405 Remingto Bullet
Remington bulk brass
47 gr IMR 3031
Winchester Large Rifle Standard Primers
Crimped

It has shot MOA in the CB @ 100 yds several times.

HA

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
It may have been me, awhile back. I had a late 1895 with 22" barrel. (they have the Ballard rifling) I used H4198 and the Hornady 350RN for around 1900+ and the Cast Performance 405 with R7 for around 1650 or so. I have done this with several rifles, you just have to play around with them. The load data I used is irrelevant for your rifle,etc. But the 2 powders/bullets are a good combo, and with the gas checked lead bullets, there isn't enough leading to be a problem. I don't know if this combo will work with the MG barrels.

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have always used IMR 4198 with excellent results. I believe the data I was looking for used IMR 4198 in both the 405gr & 350gr loads & one shot 2 or 3 inches high & the other was dead on at 100 yards. 444 ??? ???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the information. I was told that the large rifle primers would work and did buy them. What will be the difference? I'm only using these loads for target practice. Appreciate any information.

Sam

·
Registered
159 Posts
With larger powder charges and ball powder, my reloading book (speer) recommends using mag primers. I am guessing it is for a hotter more efficient powder ignition.

·
Registered
208 Posts
For 405 bullets - both Lead RNFP and Rems etc I find the Speer manual to be pretty spot on. I use RL7 and worked up from 40Gr up in 0.5Gr increments. Got to 44Gr and stopped there as combination of recoil, accuracy and velocity were good. Use the COAL and other data in the Speer manual and you shouldn't go wrong. But as others have said (and I am sure you know), you have to fiddle a bit to get best load for your set-up and needs; Little point having a shoulder bruising load when all you are after is jack-rabbits ;D
I would always advise (and I am sure others the same) to stick to manual (or bullet manufacturer) data until you are close, before trying 'internet expert' load data.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts