Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is my latest bullet. It's a 400gr WFN designed to be used with either the short Hornady LE brass or standard length brass. For standard length brass, the bullet is seated about .050" behind the front of the pre-band. For the short LE brass, you seat right to the crimp groove. Either way, loading the bullet is entirely straight forward.
The bullet has a .375" meplat and therefor needs to be seated about another .005" deeper than the Huckleberry.
400grRazberrycomparisonpics005_zps211e8a20.jpg
400gr Razberry LE bullet
firstRazberrypics003_zps5787735c.jpg
400grRazberrycomparisonpics009_zps3188bfaa.jpg
Beartooth 405DCG left
Huckleberry 417gr right
Razberry LE 400gr middle
400grRazberrycomparisonpics010_zpsf681a978.jpg
Hornady 265 Superperformance on the left
Hornady 265 Leverevolution on the right

Attachments

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I was able to get out and fire off my first test loads with the Razberry bullet with RL7. It was warm with an intense sun during testing and I was shooting off of a wobbly folding table at 50 yards.
RazberryLE-RL7loaddevelopment003_zps14a3c787.jpg

I know I can shrink groups up, because barrel was hot and I fired off test in a fairly hasty manner. I think the max load will be around 41gr RL7 and 1940fps from a 22" Ballard barrel. Velocities are recorded 15 feet in front of muzzle, so velocity at muzzle is plus about 15fps, making my final muzzle velocity around 1950-1955 if I am correct. We'll see, I'll reload and proceed in .2gr increments to 41.2gr.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Ballard test rifle, good looking bullet, once you go wide, (Meplat that is) you never go back! I'm sure the groups will shrink, the Leadhead will be proud!

Reactions: Brocky

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Very nice looking bullet for sure!

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I'd also be curious if you tried firing it out of a microgroove 444.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, it is my plan to test the Razberry in my '65 real soon. Fact is, the Razberry loads most easily into my '65 among my three 444 Marlins. I would be ecstatic if it stabilizes in my '65 24" microgroove barrel. With a 24" barrel and the right load, 2000fps is doable and I'd love to do it. We'll see.
The Razberry is very tight at the loading gate of my 444P. The '07 with which I did load development, is actually going to require the bullet be seated a little deeper. Dang 444 loading gates! I know I can take a file to the for and aft areas of the loading gate and loosen it up a little to help, but I want to have bullets that are loaded straight forward and function as they are supposed to in any 444.

On another note- the spelling with the Z is because there is candy called Raspberry Bullets. I am not sure if "Raspberry Bullets" is a brand name or copywrited (don't know much about that), but to avoid some legal letter, I just spelled it with a "Z" to avoid it.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well, I went and did it. Messing around in the ManCave when I, on a whim took a file to the loading gate. You see, it's just the slight .002- .003" bulge in the case that makes it difficult for the 400gr bullets to load in our 444 loading gate/port. When I checked with the Razberry in my '07 and it didn't load through the gate at 2.491" I knew (have known) that it is just the square edge on the inside of the front part of the loading port and the outside on the backside of the load port that is the hang up. I knew, if I just rounded those edges a little, it would free things up a bit and make more space for the heavy bullets. Less than two minutes worth of work and I grabbed the dummy round. Slid right in, easy breezy.
My only regrets is in my haste, I let the file slip a few times leaving some scratches, but man, what an improvement.
I might get to test the Razberry in a microgroove barrel tomorrow.:driver:
added: No leading in bore after 26 rounds of the Razberry.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Dog gone it. My 90 seconds with a file might have changed everything. It's always been just the slightest angle of bullet loading through the gate that has caused so much frustration and shall I say it, money. I haven't tried but what if my few strokes with the file allows normal COL with 400gr plus bullets? We are gonna see a decent boost in velocity and power if I could load 400 grain bullets out to 2.555" as opposed to 2.495". 0.060" of powder capacity is a big boost.
I'm gonna kick myself if that is the case cause it means all my heavy bullets go back to the drawing board.
It comes down to this, do I spend tons of time and money to finding answers to working around loading gate restrictions when the problem could be solved with a few strokes with a file?:hmmmm:

Of course, I'll need to test tomorrow with dummy loads and see if I am not just getting worked up over nothing.

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
Wow, Sourdough, that's great news!

Any chance you could show some pics of exactly where you filed?

Thanks for all of this,

Brocky

Reactions: AlaskaDawg

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
I do this to all my marlins, but with a buffing type wheel, I polish the whole inside of the loading gate, as well as polish the bottom of the bolt nubb and front leading edge of the hammer, I also polish the follower so it flows inside the tube better, and polish some internals as well, mind you I try not to take off no more metal then I have to.

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
I do this to all my marlins, but with a buffing type wheel, I polish the whole inside of the loading gate, as well as polish the bottom of the bolt nubb and front leading edge of the hammer, I also polish the follower so it flows inside the tube better, and polish some internals as well, mind you I try not to take off no more metal then I have to.
Hey Starrbow, any chance you'd write up a post about this?

It may be asking a lot, but it seems that lots of other 444'ers would want to try this too.

Or maybe all'a ya'all are already on board, and I'm just late to the party.

Either way, thanks!

Brocky

Reactions: mt101

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I'll be following this, excited to see the results.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just made another dummy load and seated the Razberry with it's big 0.375 meplat to 2.553" COL and shoved it through the loading gate. It was tight but it fed through. This is both exciting news and it kinds sucks for me, because to some degree, all my 400gr bullets and time spent making and testing them all thrown out the window. I can't tell you how many times I stared this solution in the face but chose to work around it. Yikes.

Reactions: Brocky

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
It took me a long time to take a file and emery cloth to the Bubba'd ejection port and loading gate of my 336C. But, once I started removing metal, it was smooth sailing...

The 336C needed the treatment to remove all of the Bubba marks from someone that thought spending 3 days stabbing at the action with a screwdriver and skinning knife was the proper way to clear a double-feed. But, when I finally get the 336W receiver back, I'll be reworking that port just to make loading smoother.

What's a little cold blue between friends? :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I tested the Razberry in my '65 mg barrel and close but no cigar. At 50 yards, its almost cutting perfect holes but clearly not perfect.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts