Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dragged my new 40cal H.E. Leman Trade Gun built by Ted Kramer out to the range yesterday. Set in fiddleback maple with an L&R lock and a 35"x7/8" Colerain barrel. After some sight adjustment I got it close to dialed in. I only have a little bit of the powder left that I was shooting so I will do final load development with Schuetzen 3f, as I have a lot of it.

.380 roundball, 018 pillow ticking patch lubed with mink oil, 45gr of Goex 3F. Group was shot at 50 yards. This will be my squirrel, rabbit, and coyote gun. I won't hesitate to slip one of the little roundballs behind the ear of a pig either.
Audio equipment Font Measuring instrument Circle Wood

Sky Daytime Wood Fence Architecture

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Travis,

The lock time and flash in your face of a flintlock makes holding steady on target much more difficult. The vertical spread of the group is really good. The lateral is most likely the product of the lock time.

Nice looking and shooting rifle!

·
Super Moderator
13,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Travis,

The lock time and flash in your face of a flintlock makes holding steady on target much more difficult. The vertical spread of the group is really good. The lateral is most likely the product of the lock time.

Nice looking and shooting rifle!
Thanks you sir. I can only imagine that when I finally work up a good load, it will get tighter. These L&R locks are great locks. This little 40cal sounds like a centerfire rifle going off the ignition is so fast. I have another H.E. Leman Trade gun built by D.J. Appleby in 54 Caliber with a 24" barrel of unknown origin, with an L&R lock. This lock actually needs to go back, as the frizzen has gotten too hard and even with a black english flint, doesn't like to spark, but when it does go bang, it is lightning fast, and shoots well. Picture below is 6 shots without cleaning, 65gr of Olde Eynsford 2F, 50 yards.
Rectangle Recreation Circle Font Art

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Thanks you sir. I can only imagine that when I finally work up a good load, it will get tighter. These L&R locks are great locks. This little 40cal sounds like a centerfire rifle going off the ignition is so fast. I have another H.E. Leman Trade gun built by D.J. Appleby in 54 Caliber with a 24" barrel of unknown origin, with an L&R lock. This lock actually needs to go back, as the frizzen has gotten too hard and even with a black english flint, doesn't like to spark, but when it does go bang, it is lightning fast, and shoots well. Picture below is 6 shots without cleaning, 65gr of Olde Eynsford 2F, 50 yards.
View attachment 858793
With that length barrel, don't overlook 1 1/2 or Fg as well

Reactions: Travis 186

·
Registered
118 Posts
I shot this group with a 54 Kibler Colonial. Load description is partially incorrect as the ball dia is .530.

White Handwriting Font Circle Recreation

·
Super Moderator
13,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I shot this group with a 54 Kibler Colonial. Load description is partially incorrect as the ball dia is .530.
I saw that in my other thread on pan powder and also saw that target, and the build itself on the muzzleloading rifle forum. I wish I had your carving and engraving skills. I got notification today that my 58 cal Colonial Rifle kit has shipped. I should probably make a thread on the build. That is some dang fine shooting!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I saw that in my other thread on pan powder and also saw that target, and the build itself on the muzzleloading rifle forum. I wish I had your carving and engraving skills. I got notification today that my 58 cal Colonial Rifle kit has shipped. I should probably make a thread on the build. That is some dang fine shooting!
I wasn't the builder. That was a friend of mine and fellow NRA Muzzleloading Instructor. I did the shooting part.

Reactions: Travis 186
1 - 11 of 11 Posts