Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was outside at my range about yesterday ringing steel at 50yds with my 40cal. SMR. flintlock, i got bored hitting it over and over, i had a 3in thick block of lead on the table and thought i would give that a try. this was shot off hand 50yds. with 55gr. of Goex Olde Eynsford 3
Wood Circle Close-up Metal Soil
Ruler Tape measure Wood Office ruler Rectangle
Food Staple food Wood Recipe Ingredient
Plant Wood Twig Automotive tire Tree

Wood Nail Thumb Foot Toe

F
. some people say it is to light for deer. i say it won't bounce off,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the ball melted into the block.

Reactions: 94win30wcf

·
Registered
926 Posts
That was the assault rifle for that era. Might wanna watch it the Dems may want to ban that rifle as to potent for anyone to own. I am amazed at the depth that lead ball penetrated into the lead block. I would not imagined the lead ball going into the block at all.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I have tested verious black powder guns for power, and am always impressed. Only last week I was shooting .451's out of a revolver at several pine boards. Punched through like they were not there, and thats soft lead balls.

·
Premium Member
6,558 Posts
This makes me want to take my T/C Renegade Hunter 50 cal. and see if I can do the same. I have some soft lead I can shoot into.

I have won a 50/50 shoot in Long Island NY with a T/C Hawken ML, Green Mountain barrel 1in28 twist, Harvester sablos to hold 44 cal., Hornady .430" 265gr. FN. bullets at 50 yards. Alright not a lead ball but I won up against center fire rifles with scopes. I had open sights and had to shoot within 1 minute.
PS. charge was Pyrodex 80gr.
TO NY🗽

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, if you think about it, the round ball that comes out of the barrel is already in the shape we hope to achieve from a modern rifle. it is already in a mushroom form/shape. it needs to do nothing else but penetrate,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I shot matches against a couple of NMLRA record holders that used .40 cals.
Outstanding accuracy.

Reactions: OLSKOOL

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have won a 50/50 shoot in Long Island NY with a T/C Hawken ML, Green Mountain barrel 1in28 twist, Harvester sablos to hold 44 cal., Hornady .430" 265gr. FN. bullets at 50 yards. Alright not a lead ball but I won up against center fire rifles with scopes. I had open sights and had to shoot within 1 minute.
The guy who got me started on muzzle loading, back in 1968 on a communications site outside of Tanana, Alaska, told me he won the village turkey shoot several times using a flintlock rifle against scoped C/F rifles. The rules were then changed to eliminate muzzle loaders....
Wish I could remember his name. He sold me a Dixie Gunworks 1851 Colt replica, and the fun hasn't ceased yet!

~Kees~

1 - 16 of 16 Posts