Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Did a search for .40-65 and didn't turn up anything. I'm shoot a Remington RB and .40-65 and was wondering if anyone shoots a
.40-65 in a Marlin lever action.
Jack,

I have a Stevens 44 1/2 single shot chambered in this grand old wildcat. I cast and load 270 to 410 gr PBB's over BP, Duplex loads, and Smokeless.

BTW, just watched a wonderful restoration of a Marlin 1895 square bolt in 40-82 go on auction today. $1,700 at Carol Watson's Orange Coast Auction.

Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Shotgun

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Did a search for .40-65 and didn't turn up anything. I'm shoot a Remington RB and .40-65 and was wondering if anyone shoots a .40-65 in a Marlin lever action.
I have two vintage Marlin Model 1895's in .40-65 calibre within 500 serial numbers of each other. One has a 28 inch barrel. Only about 5000 were made. They weren't too popular, presumably because of their weight (although the Winchester Model 1886 is just as weighty), and seemed to sit in Factory inventory for a long time. My rifles were made in 1895. Both group very well when I use a 300 grain FN cast bullet of 20:1/ Pb: Sn alloy. The original specs called for a 265 grain F.N. bullet over black powder, but I shoot I.M.R. 4198 to blackpowder velocities ( 1300 f.p.s) and that uses up 21 grains of powder. It's important to slug the barrel to determine the groove diameter of your rifle and to shoot a bullet one to two thousandths of an inch greater than this measurement. These old original blackpowder rifles are almost always overbore for a .401" bullet because blackpowder results in good obturation of your soft cast lead bullet thereby sealing the bore from hot blow-by gases which heavily lead the barrel. Smokeless powder doesn't achieve that end to the same extent so your bullets must be loaded and fired overbore size. Sometimes it becomes impossible to chamber these overbore bullets because they stick at the chamber throat. Then it becomes a matter of choosing to use blackpowder or opening up the chamber throat a hair to accept your new bullet diameter. I chose to do the latter with both my rifles as I've had my fill of blackpowder and I'm not going back there. Both my rifles slug to .409" and my 300 grain bullet drops from my mould at .410" and I fire these unsized to obtain 4" groups at about 80 yards. If I don't follow this procedure and shoot underbore sized bullets with smokeless powder a lot of bullets don't make it to the paper at all while the ones that do tumble and enter the target sideways, and in groups of about a foot. Hope this helps. It's a wonderfully accurate old calibre with far less recoil that the .45-70, from which cases may be made in .40-65 by necking them down.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I shoot 400 grain Postel bullets in my .40-65 Remington roller using 2X Old Eynsford 58.5 grains woth a veggie over powder wad.

I should have been more detailed with my question. I have a chance to buy a used Marlin 1895 (new model) in .45-70 and I would want to convert it to .40-65 WCF. Just wondering if anyone have done that and what gunsmithing does it entail. I'm leaning toward having it relined in .40-65. Rather than replacing the 26" octagon barrel that's on it. Original magazine tube should work. Now that leaves the extractor/ejector system. Will the original to the rifle work or would it have to be reworked. If anyone has done this conversion, I would like to hear from you. Thanks for reading my post.

·
Registered
329 Posts
My only experience with the 40/65 Winchester was in a Pedersoli Sharps replica but since the cartridge is just a necked down 45/70 I would think the extractor of a 45/70 should work fine.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have an 1881 in .40-60 Marlin, (same as .40-65 WCF). After slugging the bore I found that .406 diameter bullets shoot the best! I've had the best luck with 11 grains of Trail Boss with holes touching groups at 50 yards. I had hopes for Unigue and 5477 but so far have not found the proper powder charge. Otherwise is operates smoothly and is a hoot to shoot!

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Funny how good cartridges have faded away. Some 40-65s' use a 30-40 Krag bolt face so I suppose production efficiencies held them back. They were fairly popular in their day but smokeless kind of killed them off. They would still make a pretty fair lever and offer something over a 38-55.

DEP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.