Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my purchase of a Marlin cowboy in 38 55 last Halloween I became interested in the 40 65. Started searching for one on the web with no luck. The only one I found was in my opinion kind of sketchy. I wanted a 1885 Winchester high wall. I finally gave up on a vintage one; buying a used rifle you can't examine off the internet was not to my liking. I found one dealer that could get me a Taylor Uberti in about a year..really? Now back tracking a bit the reason I opted for the Marlin Cowboy was I had ordered a 38 55 High wall and after sever months of getting the run around by the gunshop I cancelled the order and bought the Marin Cowboy. Great purchase, love it!:) .
I then discovered there were a gang of Uberti High walls in 38 55 available. Love the caliber, had the dies, have tons of brass and have worked up an accuracy load for the Marlin so why not? I found a web site that listed 20 dealers with the high wall in stock prices ranged for the low $800s to over $1,000. Bought one, 30 inch octagonal barrel, single trigger for $833. Sights are terrible, tiny front sight, not suitable for senior citizen eyes and a rear buck horn the gave you minute of pickup truck sight picture. Mounted a Marble improved tang site, and headed to the range. Have a Lyman 17a front sight on order. Using the Marlin load manged a one ragged hole 3 shot group at 50 yards(y)..Once the Lyman arrives will move out to 100 yards.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Good for YOU!
REALLY need to post some photos to prove "it really happened." LOL!
How's the trigger on that High-Wall?
Are you shooting smokeless or black powder?

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trigger is almost too light, surprises you sometimes. Rifle weights around 11 pounds so it's recoilless rifle :)
Our accuracy load is Chey Cast bullets and Blue dot powder, around 1360 fps 245 gr bullet

·
Registered
874 Posts
Trigger is almost too light, surprises you sometimes. Rifle weights around 11 pounds so it's recoilless rifle :)
Our accuracy load is Chey Cast bullets and Blue dot powder, around 1360 fps 245 gr bullet
That is one good look'in rifle! May have to "investigate" one for a stable mate for my Sharps. But it would have to "learn" to eat black powder, 'cause That's ALL the Sharps gets! That and my own 500 gr. cast bullets! LOL! Enjoy that rifle, she's a looker for sure!

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
After my purchase of a Marlin cowboy in 38 55 last Halloween I became interested in the 40 65. Started searching for one on the web with no luck. The only one I found was in my opinion kind of sketchy. I wanted a 1885 Winchester high wall. I finally gave up on a vintage one; buying a used rifle you can't examine off the internet was not to my liking. I found one dealer that could get me a Taylor Uberti in about a year..really? Now back tracking a bit the reason I opted for the Marlin Cowboy was I had ordered a 38 55 High wall and after sever months of getting the run around by the gunshop I cancelled the order and bought the Marin Cowboy. Great purchase, love it!:) .
I then discovered there were a gang of Uberti High walls in 38 55 available. Love the caliber, had the dies, have tons of brass and have worked up an accuracy load for the Marlin so why not? I found a web site that listed 20 dealers with the high wall in stock prices ranged for the low $800s to over $1,000. Bought one, 30 inch octagonal barrel, single trigger for $833. Sights are terrible, tiny front sight, not suitable for senior citizen eyes and a rear buck horn the gave you minute of pickup truck sight picture. Mounted a Marble improved tang site, and headed to the range. Have a Lyman 17a front sight on order. Using the Marlin load manged a one ragged hole 3 shot group at 50 yards(y)..Once the Lyman arrives will move out to 100 yards.

Swiftriverob,

Great rifle for the price! The 38-55 has very wide range of bullet weights available. I was lucky enough to find a Win Miroku 1885 Davidson Shot Show Special used several years back on GB for a great price.

I shoot BP through it mostly these days. I plink with smokeless and a 230gr bullet. The most accurate load is a 325gr soft cast, 40-1, over Fg with 5 gr of 4227 over the primer. No more velocity with the primer charge of 4227, it just burns much cleaner.

For smokeless, you should consider H or IMR 4198 somewhere is the 21-23 gr range, no filler materials. Also, consider using a Win Large Pistol primer. I found best accuracy with a light taper crimp with the lands just starting to etch the bullet and the milder primer.

Additionally, if you really want to get the most out of a 40-65, consider a single shot as well.

If you do not cast you own, you may want to consider starting. If you do I can recommend several bullet molds from Accurate.

There is one additional item I must warn you about, Singleshotitis. It is a highly contagious inflammatory disease with no known cure! You appear to have a few early warning signs. You will know it has fully set in when you start looking of a 32-40 single shot.

Enjoy the wonderful world of BPCR. It is really fun to see others at the range scratch their heads when they see the groups you can print with obsolete technology!

Reactions: JFC3855

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Singleshotitist for me started over 50 years ago with a 32 rimfire Winchester 1885...I now own 2 Winchesters 1885. Modern in 22 lr, and an Uberti low wall shutzen in 45 colt. And the 38 55

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
824 Posts
Nice looking rifle and it shoots great, too!!++ My BIL has an original high wall in .38-55, same sight set up. He's been shooting at 300 yards and is going to attempt 600 with it! Loads a 381 grain gas check and 26.5 grains of 3031.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If this virus crap ever stops I plan on heading to Utah, where my best friend lives, and try 600 yards and beyond...the beyond is where it gets interesting

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts