Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I bid on a Remington falling block in 40 65.Nice gun, it had been restored, but the price started to climb in the last 20 minutes, so I didn't pursue it. It needed sights, and with shipping, transfer fee, credit card fee....an not being particularly enamored with falling blocks I passed. Had a discussion with a friend by text on the possability of rebarreling a Marlin 336, as the can be found for relatively small money. After looking at rim diameters that looks like it is not possible. So it would have to be a Marlin 1895, which are pricey, and adding a rebarrel just doesn't make economic sense. So back to a modern reproduction 1885 Winchester High Wall which are as , in 40 65 Winchester, as rare as Chuck Norris tears.

So the question of the day is can a Marlin 336 be rechambered for the 40 65? I think not, but can someone offer advice?

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you want a 40/65, get a 1895 and do the rebarrel...otherwise, it ain't gonna happen....it uses the same basic case as the 45/70..duh...

·
Registered
850 Posts
There was a post about this subject last week in the collectors section. I suggested an 1895 in .45-70 and do a barrel reline! The only problem with a Marlin is OAL restricts you to only the lighter bullets. The single shot platform allows you to use longer, heavier bullets. Uberti makes an 1885 replica in .40-65. Don't know how hard they are to acquire, though.

Nevermind, it was YOUR post I was referring to!! Hope your quest is successful, I know the hunt is half the fun. I searched for years for a Savage 1899 in .38-55. Finally found a take down in Superior Wisconsin for $400. Shop owner said he couldn't sell guns if you can't buy the ammo at Walmart!! :)

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
If you want a 40/65, get a 1895 and do the rebarrel...otherwise, it ain't gonna happen....it uses the same basic case as the 45/70..duh...
The end of you're message was un-necessary. We promote helping folks if we can. Not everyone on here is an expert at everything. What kind of example does it set with examples like that? He has 12 posts for Pete's sake.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Da Duke: All I was attempting to do was to alert the OP that the 336 and the 1895 are completely different (ie. bolt face/receiver so that the extra sized 45/70 case base would actually eject). For what he might pay to have a 336 "converted" he could buy 3 1895s...I personally have two 40/65s...one in a '74 Sharps and the other in a Winch. Trad. Hunter. Suggest that's what the OP should be looking for. PS: I only have 30 couple posts, but didn't want the OP to continue to follow the path that would go over the cliff.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yep, you beat me to that 1899 by about 4 hours! But, the Uberti 40-65's would be the way to go. Not real hard to find, and fair quality to boot. Actually, if the OP goes with the '95 Marlin suggestion, it's about as cheap to rebarrel as reline currently. A Green Mountain blank isn't priced out of sight. On another note, if the OP really dislikes falling blocks (!!??) I'm doing a project for myself in 40-65 using a trapdoor action. Found one of the H&R carbine stocks NOS, a Custer range (narrow width) action, and already had several '73 locks about. So turning it into a sporting 40-65 with a 26" light taper round barrel. It's strictly a hunting gun, so no fancy sights, but that general concept might work here. I've done one with a heavier (15/16") octagon barrel, inlet into a late Hawken stock, using the Bridger Hawken lock, triggers, etc. Made a nice 500 yard hunting/target rifle, and looks like a Gemmer conversion. I do most of the work myself, so costs are pretty reasonable. But an idea for the OP to consider in his quest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts