Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Marlin 38 55 cowboy last Halloween and have had nothing but fun with the rifle ever since. But now I am lusting after a 40 65. yesterday at the range 3 of us got together for a fun shoot. My usual partner and I are both left handed rifle shooters. I am in my early 70s, had surgery on the left shoulder a few years back to remove a musket ball and arrow head so I am a little recoil shy. The 38 55 is very light recoil and I figure the 40 65 would be OK. The 38 55, when we had it scoped, would shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards, now with a williams peep sight and a Lyman 17a front sight groups are larger. That is obviously us, not the rifle. So another friend brought his 45 70 sharps. I was thinking of buying a sharps in 40 65 . The recoil on the 45 70 shooting smokeless powder with a 400 gr. bullet wasn't bad at all, but as a lefty operating the sharps was a bit of a chore. We two lefties shoot the cowboy off the bench loading one at a time, very easy for us. The sharps owner is right handed and looked like a monkey with a football trying to load one at a time. I don't think a sharps is in my future, so I am looking into a high wall. I would prefer a Marlin lever action.

Does any one know if there are any modern 40 65 Marlins out there? I am allowing a budget of approximately $1200 to $1400 for the rifle, then dies, brass, sights , on and on. I suppose I could by a 30 30 and have it rebarreled but isn't my first choice.

Comments? Advice?

·
Registered
592 Posts
A modern 1895 (round bolt) could be nade with a custom made barrel. I bought an original Marlin 1895 made in 1896 a few years ago. If I had it to do over I'd settled for a 45-70 1895 Cowboy and load it to my comfort range.
One of the Italian makers make a high wall in 40-65 as well as a rolling block. I have one of each. If you have deep pockets a C.Sharps or Shiloh.
WW

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have an 1881 in .40-60 (40-65 Win) and it is my favorite of all my Marlins. I put on a tang sight and Beech front sight, shoot 11 grains of Trail Boss 265 grain cast, and hit the 200 yard gong easily! Very pleasant to shoot and accurate.
GOOD 1881's are rare, another thought would be find a modern 1895 in 45-70 and have the barrel relined to 40-65. You'd have a stronger action, too, if you ever wanted to load some hotter loads. The TB loads shoot great in mine and I just don't see any reason to hot rod a 135 year old rifle.

·
Registered
24,711 Posts
I have an 1881 in .40-60 (40-65 Win) and it is my favorite of all my Marlins. I put on a tang sight and Beech front sight, shoot 11 grains of Trail Boss 265 grain cast, and hit the 200 yard gong easily! Very pleasant to shoot and accurate.
GOOD 1881's are rare, another thought would be find a modern 1895 in 45-70 and have the barrel relined to 40-65. You'd have a stronger action, too, if you ever wanted to load some hotter loads. The TB loads shoot great in mine and I just don't see any reason to hot rod a 135 year old rifle.
my father has an 81 in 45-70 perfect bore. the serial number is in the low 5,000 range its fun to shoot. lead only.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
40-65 is either based on the 303/30/40 Krag cases or some on the 45-70. While it would be nice to see, The 30-40 Krag basic case is no longer used. A more modern version of the 40-65 was the 405 Winchester which also went obsolete. Would be better than the 444.

DEP

·
Registered
451 Posts
The only down side to rebarreling a modern '95 action would be the inability to shoot the heavy for calibre slugs used by the BPCR crowd. If you stay with traditional weight slugs, i.e. 260-275 gr., the overall length wouldn't be a problem. A friend has been there done that long ago. I'd be tempted to have a half round-half octagon barrel, 26" long with a button mag tube. Makes for a handy bench rifle, pressure against the mag tube on the bags is eliminated, is handier to hold, and just looks great (and period to boot!). If you get a used '95 pre-82 or so, it wouldn't have the push button safety, and would be 100 per cent left hand useable.

·
Premium Member
2,235 Posts
Swiftriverrob,

I would suggest starting with the 1895. Same bolt face, carrier, etc will keep costs down. Rebarrel to 40-65 and shoot.

There is one more Single Shot option I must mention, Stevens 44 1/2. CPA rifles has been making them for many years. You can find them used from time to time. They can also make a 40-65 barrel for you. The best thing about the 44 1/2 is quick barrel change. Several barrels for one action that you can change in a minute.

Reactions: Big_T
1 - 11 of 11 Posts