Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About an 1888 Pacific basket case when I bought it.
My friend Ron Long built a barrel for it and did the case colors and the Bluing.
Ron had the amazing wood and cut the stock blanks for me while I finished the wood and polished the metal.
The rifle kept me in the masters class of NRA BPCR competition for a long time!
In fact the rifle was still in the white when I shot my very first 33 at the nationals at the Whittington Center.
Now the target sights are off and it gets used for hunting more than anything.
It's amazing what a 400 grain soft lead spitzer will do to a deer at 200 or so yards!

Sorry for the bad pics, I am pretty bad with the camera.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Ohhh, she's a beauty! I would love to have one of those sweethearts! Thanks for posting the pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
A favourite calibre of mine as well in a Marlin Model 1895, but I've only taken the bullet to 300 grains ! Yours is a rolling block ? Lovely stuff. Beautiful wood. You must be right up there with the Venturino crowd ? Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
16,809 Posts
Hey Revor,

Mighty fine looking rifle!

The case hardening and the fine figure of the stock, are very "complimentary"!

Wow!

Later, Mark

Reactions: Click Click Boom

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
They might be bad pics but the rifle stands out anyway.

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
That is a very beautiful work of art made of steel and wood.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
WoW!!!!!! What a Beauty! That's one Fiiine lookin rifle

The CCH and furniture are Awesome!

Thanks for showing
BloodGroove4570

Excuse me while I go cleanup the drool....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's almost too pretty isn't it?
I only shoot holy black or black duplex loads out of this Ballard. 62Grains of FFG with a fiber wad. 400 Grain bullets all day long.
I also have a Win 71 in the same caliber (it's got a big honken octagon barrel on it!)
I'll shoot smokeless out of that one. There are great loads on the Hodgdon website.
All of my 40's have fast twist rifling to stabilize a big long bullet.
Smithywess, you may have topped out on a 300 grainer if your barrel is a factory one. Normally barrels from the factory have a slow twist that cannot stabilize a big bullet. Do check the twist with the cleaning rod and a patch. If it comes out around 16 to one try a big 400 grainer.
Be careful, fast twists and big bullets mean big pressures, a 95 is a strong action but why work it so hard.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Wow, seems inadequate for that rifle. Thanks for sharing. Steve

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Speechless.......absolutely speechless!:congrats:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Absolutely fantastic! Beautiful rifle to be very proud of! I would love for you to get a better camera and get some high quality pics. The coloring is gorgeous and needs to be shown off. I have a Swede roller that I want to rebarrel in 40-65 if I ever hit the lottery LOL!

Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts