Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi ya'll.

New on this forum and new to lever actions so any advice and recommendations are deeply appreciated.

So, after much research and contemplation, I finally decided upon a Marlin 336 30-30 and recently, a 1976 followed me home from a local pawn shop. It's in somewhat rough shape cosmetically, but I figure working on it will just make it "mine". :)

Things I plan to do in order of importance:

1) replace loading spring/gate screw (on order, previous owner cracked it and putting it back in torqued it in half)
2) replace rear barrel band and screw (also on order)(didn't think this would be a big deal till i found out I need the old style) :dong:
3) buy scope mount, qr rings and scope
4) buy hammer extension
5) refinish stock
6) reblue or have gun cerakoted
7) buy elastic or leather ammo band for stock

Any ideas on the mount, rings and scope? I would like a receiver mounted scope but want the mount low enough that I can still use the iron sights after removing the scope. I am leaning toward the Warne a997m mount with some middle of the road QR scope rings; as well as a middle of the road 2-4x scope. On a side note, would it be possible to have a tang mounted peep sight as well to use that after removing the QR scope in an emergency, and still have the flip buckhorn sight as a backup to the peep sight???

During the midst of that work and prior to having the metal refinished, I'm going to be polishing up all the recommended areas in the action as it's somewhat difficult to cycle the action, hammer feels stiff.

After watching the action for a bit I've determined that it goes in the following order. Any clarification on how it works is appreciated. Sorry for murdering any technical jargon. :biggrin:

As you cycle the lever, the bolt pulls back and carrier drops down which allows the cartridge to enter the carrier and ride it up to the chamber as you close the lever cycling the bolt and pushing it into the chamber. Here's the key point of interest for me: when the lever latches close, you can see the next cartridge pop into place behind the loading spring. Why this matters is, on the 3rd round (never on a different round), the cartridge doesn't move into position as i latch the lever close on the 2nd round. So i eject the second round and no bullet moves into the carrier. I have to cycle the action several times before the bullet finally moves. Even banging the butt stock on the carpet and tapping the forearm doesn't help Any ideas????

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Just a stab at it, but i would clean and check the tube for crud buildup/rust....
Also I know you said loading gate screw is broke, but is the gate loose or snug?

Check around in this link too
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/jams-all-kinds/

And Welcome to MO.....

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks for the reply BloodGroove! I did take out the spring and looked down it, looked shiny but just ran a clean dry .45 boresnake through it just in case. Didn't appear to help. When the screw was still in-tact, the gate was snug as I read that a loose gate screw causes problems of all kind (earthquakes, fires, horrible political situations in the United States):hmmmm:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I load the entire tube, so 6 i believe. if i just load two they both cycle fine, but it's the third one that has trouble anyway? 170 gr remington corelokt. I'm in eastern WA like you Eli.:shakehands:

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
BloodGroove is right. Remove the magazine tube. Clean the spring, follower (should be metal on a '76 model), and "polish" the inside of the mag tube. By polish, I suggest a bore brush wrapped with 4/0 steel wool. Lightly oil and scrub. Clean the follower also with oil and steel wool. Measure the length of the spring to see if it was altered. It should measure about 25".

Looks like we were posting at the same time.

Papalote

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
That is really weird...

Bear with me here...If you load six does it do this on the third round and each round after until there is only two in the tube?

I wouldn't do too much messing around with it until you get the loading gate straightened out. That will eliminate one variable. But I'm really stumped on why it would always be the third round and only the third round. :hmmmm:

A few of us like to shoot over at the CdA Range. You close enough to make over there once in a while? I don't head over until the temps come up.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
is the tube dented or ovaled? Is your follower round? Do you have another gun to swap parts and narrow down the possibilities?

Papalote

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
is the tube dented or ovaled? Is your follower round? Do you have another gun to swap parts and narrow down the possibilities?

Papalote
This is along my original line of thinking as the only thing that came to my mind was the location of the round in the tube, where the follower was, etc. But, you would think that every round that hit that spot would react the same way...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
measured the spring. not compressed it was exactly 29 inches. lightly brushed and wiped down spring and oiled the follower with a light gun oil, ran several patches together through the tube several times... VERY dirty!!! makes me wonder if the bore snakes are all their cut out to be cause i had alread run that through 3 times..... ran them down till the patches came out mostly clean as i ran out of patches lol. now just need to put the action back together. Will i be able to test it without the loading gate in place as i haven't received the replacement screw yet?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eli, I'm in Spokane so I'd be able to make it over like you, when the weather warms up. :) To clarify the issue, I load six rounds and cycle and eject the first two then the third one doesn't feed out of the tube. I'm hoping all the cleaning and oiling helps. gonna try testing it without the gate. Papalote, tube is not dented that i see and follower is not out of round.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
measured the spring. not compressed it was exactly 29 inches. lightly brushed and wiped down spring and oiled the follower with a light gun oil, ran several patches together through the tube several times... VERY dirty!!! makes me wonder if the bore snakes are all their cut out to be cause i had alread run that through 3 times..... ran them down till the patches came out mostly clean as i ran out of patches lol. now just need to put the action back together. Will i be able to test it without the loading gate in place as i haven't received the replacement screw yet?
No. You need a properly functioning loading gate to hold the round in place.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
what kind of ammo are you using? I have a 1964 336 that will always have problems with leverevolution ammo but works great with remington ammo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
skmarsh I bought a box of winchester power point and remington corelokt from wally world, haven't even shot it once cause I have to get the gate fixed. Should have it within a week so I'll update on the situation then. Thanks for all the advice, replies, and warm welcomes. What a friendly forum! Not to mention all the fantastic info!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Well the best advice I can give you is make sure that whatever you shoot at is dead before you get to the third shot cause if not you might be in some trouble. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
The spring is 29". Mine measured 25". Hmmmmm. Your gun should have a 20" barrel, right? Maybe the spring was stretched?

Papalote

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol good advice marsh, hopefully only one shot will do it! :eating:

papalote, it'd take a bit of time but could you count the coils on your spring? yes, i have a 20" barrel.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I have run into this problem with proper cycling of rounds. Check this. Remove the bottom of the reciever and feel inside of the reciever where the mag tube fits in it. Some time there will be a edge of the reciever that sticks past the tube. You will feel this. Remove the tube and take a chain saw file and work it down till it is flush. you might have to replace the tube in reciever and feel of it a few times till you get it just right. I had this problem with mine its a 1976 .

·
Registered
938 Posts
just a guess but I would replace the magazine tube spring. My thinking is it could be weak. A weak spring makes more sense that a problem with the mag tube.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts