Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm new to MO & am wondering if there is anyone out there who owns a 1990-ish model 39TDY? Also anyone with knowledge of the differences between the early model 39A vs the late model 39A? Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Owned two of the first year models. The first year model 39TDS...1988...had their serial numbers start with the prefix TDS and the number after that. From what I understand in 1989 they dropped the TDS prefix. They also had smooth stocks the first year. Some time after that Marlin started using checkered stocks, not sure of the year.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have a first year TDS(1988) with the carry pouch and the manuals that were with them. No box but I do have the action holder that most TDS models usually have that item missing. 1988 was also the first year for the safety and the rebound hammer on the 39A Marlins. The checkered wood on the Marlin 39A guns I believe started in 1994. The TDS is nice but I prefer the full size of the 24" barrel models especially when peep sighted. I am not a straight stock guy so I prefer the pistol grip models. My wife and I have two M's but I don't care for them as much as my D with the pistol grip.

·
Registered
112 Posts
39A early vs late

If you've looked at Numrich for 39A parts and that's what prompted your inquiry about early vs late, the easiest way to tell "late" is to look at the right side of the receiver where the finger lever screw appears: The "late" 39A's have the finger lever screw holes drilled and tapped all the way thru the receiver, so you'll see the (polished/blued) end of the finger lever screw on the right half. The "early" ones have a blind finger lever screw hole, so the right receiver half will show no hole where the finger lever pivots. I'd have to go look at my notes, but early 60's 39A's are late, if that statement makes any sense!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.