Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 39M. Barrel blueing looks excellent. From the pictures it appears to have some blueing wear at the bottom of the receiver in front of t he lever. There are also 4 buggered up screw heads on the left side. Nice wood with a few minor scratches.
They are asking $475 shipped. Is this a rip off?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've priced a lot of Mounties and that's a tad high unless it is a model that is somewhat hard to find...I'd say offer $425.00 shipped. At $475.00, you will have to buy your own new screws and who knows what else inside (sight unseen)...That being said, Mounties ain't getting any cheaper or easier to find, so a lot depends on how bad you want it...

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Again, I believe it has a lot to do with where you are located. Here, asking prices in the local internet classifieds for used 39A rifles run around $450-$500 on average. I have seen maybe a half dozen Mounties in the past 3 or 4 years and they are usually in the same price range.

Last summer, I found a 39M for sale by an individual in 90-95% condition. The seller only knew it was a Marlin .22 that was "too short" for him. Unfortunately for me :-\, I took my BIL with me to look it over and I let him buy it after getting the price down to $340 if I remember correctly.

bjm

·
Registered
185 Posts
I bought mine on gunbroker last May for $326 sounds allot like yours aside from the buggered up screws. It also had the most ginormous finger lever I've ever seen before.

It did have feeding problems but a majority of that was cured by tracking down the correct inner mag tube. The one that came with it was about 2" too short.

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
I think it's a tad high but not completely out of the ballpark. I'd be comfortable at $425-450.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
I just saw one in a gun show this week priced at 799.00. :eek: It was in good shape about 80 % in my estimate.

I have seen them on Gunbroker from 450.00 for 85% up to 600.00 for 98 %.

Like they say, it depends what part of the country you are in and if they know what they are.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
The last couple weeks on GB there have been some going for ALOT of dough,,, all say in excellent shape.
Looks like to me all Marlins are starting to bring more and more $$$'s .Rough ones are getting snapped up quick too.

Sold off a few centerfires and been picking up some 39's , the $2-$300 ones are few and far between... If can find them local is worth a little more since don't have to pay shipping and FFL transfer fees.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I'm in the process of buying this one. I keep hearing about somebody that knew a guy that sold him a Mountie for $200-300. But the reality of it is those seem to be the exception. I think I am paying a little on the high end for this gun. But I think I could easily sell it and not lose more than $50 (if that). And if I ever run across that $200 39M? Well then, I'll have a pair! ;D

·
Registered
319 Posts
Good luck with your deal. I agree with you...the deal is good enough to jump on IMHO. Keep your wallet handy because sure as heck you will run across a "cheap" one right after you buy this gun and will need to make room in your gun safe!!

Bob ;D

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well my new little friend should be shipping this afternoon! ;D Looks like I will need to go squirrel hunting this weekend. I hope to report back with some pictures before then. Thank guys!

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Congratulations.I think that barring any serious problems with the rifle then you got a great deal.I bought a 95%+ 39 Century last year for $600 + shipping and I am very happy with my rifle.Any way it's your money and if you are happy with the deal then that is all that matters.Let us know how it goes and post photos.Good luck. JD

·
Registered
692 Posts
Congrats. You did well!
Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts