Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here (and new to lever guns, period) and I have a quick question. I recently picked up a 1973 Marlin 39M and it seems that the lever is not positioned/lining up with the stock correctly when closed. Any ideas on what could be the cause of this? Or how I could fix it? I'm guessing that Marlin wouldn't have let it leave the factory this way back in '73. I've attached a photo. Thanks for your help :) ~ Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
In my experience they are all like that. My 39M Octagon is like that- I looked at a couple of them and they were the same way.

As long as the action does what it is supposed to do- no worries.

M

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Maudite. I've looked over a few of them owned by friends and none of them had this much of a gap - and certainly not this much of an angle away from the stock. The ones I've seen are much more flush/parallel with the stock. A quick google image search ("marlin 39M octagon" or "Marlin 39M") seems to confirm this. But yes, the action does what it's supposed to. So it is functioning. I'm just wondering if this is the finger lever the gun left the factory with, or whether it's an ill-fitting (albeit original Marlin) replacement. ~ Chris

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
11,486 Posts
Does the tab behind the trigger on the lever contact the bottom tang when pulled up? If it does it should be fine - maybe just an end of the tolerance part. AC

·
Registered
289 Posts

Looks like the victim of rough handling. The lever is sprung or bent slightly. Done after leaving the factory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the tab behind the trigger on the lever contact the bottom tang when pulled up? If it does it should be fine - maybe just an end of the tolerance part. AC
Yes, the tab makes contact with the bottom tang when closed. But it's not flush with the bottom tang, only the front part of the tab touches it. ~ Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
View attachment 69931 View attachment 69932 I see what you mean. It just looks wrong.My guess is just that, a guess, would be its been replaced.
Yes, I've never seen one quite like this. On most 39Ms I've seen the lever (when closed) rests almost parallel with the bottom tang, and not on such an angle. I'm guessing it's been replaced, but I'm not sure. I was hoping someone here could confirm this or provide an alternative answer/explanation. Thanks ~ Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am going to a gunsmith next week and see what I can learn .mine cycles long rifle ok but not shorts or longs.It happens mostly with last round. didn't mean to but in sorry.

·
Premium Member
14,165 Posts
In 73 they made both the 39M and the 39M Octagon. The 39M with round barrel had the rounded lever, as shown in post #6. The 39M oct. had the squared lever, that you have.
I can't tell by your picture, and I don't think you have said which one you have. If you have the round barreled 39M, then it is possible someone has replaced the lever.
And the non original lever is throwing off the timing.

On the other hand , maybe the square lever did work, but when it got bent, it bent something else inside. Again throwing off the timing.

·
Registered
691 Posts
In 73 they made both the 39M and the 39M Octagon. The 39M with round barrel had the rounded lever, as shown in post #6. The 39M oct. had the squared lever, that you have.
I can't tell by your picture, and I don't think you have said which one you have. If you have the round barreled 39M, then it is possible someone has replaced the lever.
And the non original lever is throwing off the timing.

On the other hand , maybe the square lever did work, but when it got bent, it bent something else inside. Again throwing off the timing.
Not always. I've got a 1973 39M with the round barrel and squared lever. I bought it new.

These levers can be bent; I have first-hand experience with this. They're not that strong and can also bent back to the correct shape if you're good at doing such things. Any good gunsmith should be able to correct it for you.

·
Premium Member
14,165 Posts
You are right. I should have said that in the catalog, it show that. But Marlin had a habit of not going by the catalog. If they ran out of rounded levers, and they had a pile of square levers,
they would use the square. In your case and maybe his, they used a square lever.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Mine sits even -

Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Air gun

Attachments

·
Registered
832 Posts
The change to the square lever came with the designation change from 39A Mountie to 39M in 1972. Marlin did not change the picture in the 72 and 73 catalogs. I have never seen a 39M with a round lever. My 73 is square. The 1970 catalog shows a Century limited on the cover with a square lever. On the other hand Marlin never wasted anything so I guess it is possible there are M’s with a round lever from early72 during the transition anyone have one?

I think the OP's lever has been bent. You may try putting something between the lever and the tang and bending it back by squeezing it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts