Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot ground hogs from my kitchen window and to avoid throwing the empty, I hold the gun sideways over the table to catch it. I always felt some resistance when closing but it always closed. Yesterday when I did this the lever stuck open. I have never had this gun apart, and the manual says to close the lever before disassembly. I have also seen a reference on the web about the 39 having ejection problems when on its side. Does anyone know what the problem is and can I separate the gun with the lever open?
Thanks for any help.
night hawk

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Try wiggling the lever side to side, sometime the lever will work loose and does not line up with the notch in the bolt.

Try also manually pushing the bolt forward.

You can take the gun apart with the lever back, be cautious as there will be some parts such as the bolt fall out. Best to take it apart with a blanket or some such to catch it if anything falls out. Good luck. Swany

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Ok night hawk I just gota ask.What part of the country do you live in that you can shoot ground hogs from out your kitchen window?Do you live out in a desert? By the way,how long has it been sense you gave that old ground hog slayer a good cleaning?Tell us about your rifle and post pictures when you can. Welcome to MO. JD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the fast return Swamy. The jiggling and the bolt movement ( about 1/4 inch ) doesn't help. So I'll try taking it apart and will let you know what the problem was. My best friend and hunting and fishing buddy gave me the gun before he passed away. So I havent had a chance to clean it yet. I live 24 miles SE of Pittsburgh Pa. We still hunt with high powered rifles here. Thanks for the return Jackdaniels.
Night hawk

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Lots of people shoot groundhogs out their kitchen windows. Why would you think that's unusual?

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
I shoot on a average of 20 gophers per year out my back door.

Ground hogs would go fast around here if presented.

I see them at around 400 yds in the neighbors field, which he has said shoot all of them you can. Just poking my highpowered rifles out the back door would be okay, but I would need a better rest to take the shot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK Swany I think I found the problem. When I took the gun apart I was suprised to find a round at the end of the magazine past the cartridge cutoff clip. I think this round was keeping the carrier assy from going up and in turn the lever from closing. There was a round ready to go into the chamber so this was a second round that got past the cartridge cutoff clip too soon. I'm going to give the gun a good cleaning to see if that fixes the problem. If not I may have to tweek that clip a little. As a last resort I'll replace the clip and carrier assy. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again
night hawk

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Swany, FYI after cleaning I still had various problems ejection and reloading. It seemed as though the bolt didn't want to move. I must have taken it apart 5 or 6 times and finally it started working OK. It seems as though the take down screw tightness has a lot to do with it. I found that screwing it very tight and then backing off a little worked best for my gun.
Thanks for the help
night hawk

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
They are sensitive, I use a nickle to tighten mine, a quarter gave me too much torque.

·
Registered
60 Posts
night hawk said:
OK Swany I think I found the problem. When I took the gun apart I was suprised to find a round at the end of the magazine past the cartridge cutoff clip. I think this round was keeping the carrier assy from going up and in turn the lever from closing. There was a round ready to go into the chamber so this was a second round that got past the cartridge cutoff clip too soon. I'm going to give the gun a good cleaning to see if that fixes the problem. If not I may have to tweek that clip a little. As a last resort I'll replace the clip and carrier assy. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again
night hawk
this is the same thing that keeps happening to my 44 mag 1894.Sometimes it will run several magazine of feed dummies through without a hitch,then the next, everyone of the rounds will jam.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I worked the lever to slowly and had the same thing happen to me. I found that a live round had fallen down into the receiver. That has never happened before, but I have never shot the rifle that way before. Live and learn I guess. Never force anything to move! If it doesn't function smoothly, stop drop & roll (think) Why is this happening to me, I eat my greens. Night Hawk, thanks for posting your problem for me to read and find my problem with my 1965 39A. This is the BEST 22 cal I have ever fired & owned!
I shoot ground hogs from my kitchen window and to avoid throwing the empty, I hold the gun sideways over the table to catch it. I always felt some resistance when closing but it always closed. Yesterday when I did this the lever stuck open. I have never had this gun apart, and the manual says to close the lever before disassembly. I have also seen a reference on the web about the 39 having ejection problems when on its side. Does anyone know what the problem is and can I separate the gun with the lever open?
Thanks for any help.
night hawk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts