Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an old 1978 39M Inner magazine was lost years ago having trouble finding one. Anyone know a good place?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Have an old 1978 39M Inner magazine was lost years ago having trouble finding one. Anyone know a good place?
This is a problem, for some reason, with the .22 tube-feds. If you can't get one from Gun Parts/Numrich, Brownell's has had one-size-fits-all kits, over-length, trim(carefully) to fit. You'll need to figure out what follower you need, there are a lot of different types. You could also buy one for a 39A and shorten that, you'd have to make sure the knob correctly engages the outer tube. There's a tiny flush pin that holds the knob on, knock that out, remove knob and guts, shorten the inner tube, use a pin vise to drill the pin hole and reassemble. Unlike the early Marlin .22 magazines, the industry has pretty much standardized on the diameters of under-barrel .22 tubes, so a universal tube kit can be had.

Marlin magazines are generally sold as old/new-type sets of inners and outers, they changed the locking lugs at sometime during production, have never seen a date. One does not correctly fit the other. I changed out my '53 39A's whole magazine since the lugs were so worn it wouldn't retain the inner tube. I used the "new" type. I had to drill the outer tube for the hanger pin, those were drilled in-situ at the factory during assembly. Outer tube is dead soft, was easy to drill using a pin vise, took a couple of minutes and didn't hog out the hanger's pin hole. That's if you decide to change out the works, what I would do(and did).

Stan S.

·
Registered
386 Posts

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
Welcome from Texas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts