Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have found some great 39A Marlins, these last few years and even a genuine 39 Carbine, of all things. The one that has proven to be very elusive, though, is a 39M or Mountie. Just don't see many in our area, for whatever reason (and we only buy on a local basis).

Earlier this week we saw a listing for a local estate auction and it included a listing for a "Marlin Golden 22". This kind of fuzzy description didn't surprise us. We see it a lot at estate auctions. A Marlin Golden, of course, could only be a 39, but which 39? Odds favored it being another 39A, but went went, anyway. Worst thing that could happen is that we brought home another 39A.

To our surprise, the "Marlin Golden 22", though, was a 39M. Even better, it was a 1982 vintage 39M, so no cross bolt safety. Even better, it was in excellent condition - a few mars on the stock finish, but the bluing showroom new. We won with a bid of $425. Not a steal, but a very good price, considering the condition. A 39A in such condition brings $550 to $600 in our area.

Came with a cheap red dot, but took it off first thing when we got home. Since my husband does most of the rifle shooting in our family (I'm the pistol shooter), he gets to decide of he wants to go scope or a peep on this one. Most of our Marlins wear peep sights, but we do have a couple that wear scopes, including one of our 39As. We'll head to the range, tomorrow and give this Marlin a good workout, one way or the other.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Nice rifle, nice price, happy shootin'.

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Hey North Country,

What a great score!

Later, Mark

Reactions: SC Reb

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Well heck NCG you done Really good! Looks like a fine little gun you got.

I hope she shoots as good as it looks!

BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Congrats.
Maybe holidays are coming and people are selling lower.

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
Congrats,
that’s a fine lookin’ rifle

and a good price

Reactions: SC Reb

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
I have a 1976 39M and they are special little 22's in my opinion. I think the $425 you paid is a very good deal.

Congratulations! :congrats:

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Great find!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Very nice find. Recently saw a 39m for $500 showing way to much Character.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Good Deal!!!

In the last 6 years I have seen exactly 1 39M and 1 39D for sale in our area. Both of them live with me now.

I've seen a few 39A but they are drying up also.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Way to go on a beautiful rifle! I see rough M's and Mountie's bringing that!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts