Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1973 39D has developed a bad jam. Every 4 rounds or so, with ammo, CCI blazer which used to work fine. Jams with agiila as well.
Extracts, ejecting fine. Jams while loading when lever is fully open, totally stuck. Round seems to be hanging 1/2 out of the mag tube, have to disassemble to clear.
Working lever hard and fast or slow makes no difference.
Just tried really tightening the take down screw. Using vise grips and a quarter, tightening until quarter starts to bend.
Helped issue, not totally jammed now, but last round in mag hangs up, but am able to wiggle/Work lever again and round feeds.

Mag spring?

I

·
Registered
5 Posts
Over the years a similar fault occurred on both a 39M and a 39AS I still own. In both cases it was due to the magazine tube having detached itself from the action body. Suggest you remove the forend and this should become apparent. I degreased the end of the tube and re-inserted it into the action using Araldite (sparingly!).

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can’t remove hand guard until later, but tube seems tight. Its held by the pin and in this rifle a sling mount pinches it in place, it’s actually drilled across the top. Seems snug.
Had one jam today after bearing down on the takedown bolt. Used a cleaning rod down the mag tube to nudge the shell. Able to cycle the action then. Shells definitely are hanging up coming out of the mag. This one had 6 more in the tube pushing it.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Have you taken it apart and inspected chamber and parts alignment? Also, finger tight is all the 39 needs. Monkey tight often causes binding.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Make sure your mag tube on the rifle is clean and the spring and follower on the removable part are clean and sliding freely, also. Inspect for dents that could bind up the follower. The take down screw isn't supposed to be cranked down too much. I never use anything more than a quarter between my fingers. Snug is all you need.

PS...I got my 39D when I was 14 and it is still my favorite rifle.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, trust me vise grips are only used with the soft metal of the quarter in between, it is a clue that slightly more snug helps it work, A quarter bends very easy.
Tube looks good, parts are clean and move ok. Have to compare spring pressure with my other rifles.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The spring on this mag tube is actually the strongest if the 5 rifles I measured. About 8oz pressure, rest were 4-6oz. Tube looks fine, outer tube is clean, mates fine to receiver. The last rounds had a slight drag coming out of the tube. Unscrewed the interruptor that stops the rounds before they are released to the bolt. Cleaned it and the drag went away. Tolerance must be tight, maybe a speck underneath it.
Fed cleanly afterwards.

·
Registered
903 Posts
trust me vise grips are only used with the soft metal of the quarter in between, it is a clue that slightly more snug helps it work, A quarter bends very easy.
Oh, Vice-grips and a quarter. Well thats different.

I've stopped taking mine apart but once a year for deep cleaning if necessary.

Finger snug and tight, if you need more than a dime to make it tight enough imo you've an issue with one side or the other of the action screw assembly (barrel or but) or both.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I was going to say the cartridge stop may be bent or have crud under it. Sounds like you may have found that to be the case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts