Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a friend with a 39a, and i really like it. I have lots of experince with other marlin guns but not this one. I plan to buy one here soon and was wondering anything y'all could tell me about them.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Don't do it - it's addictive!!! You won't be able to stop at one.....

Seriously, it's a great 22 - I have 7 or 8 of 'em, and there isn't a bad one in the bunch. As is typical, they all have their preferences as to what ammo they like best. Some shoot CCI Mini-Mags best, and they all shoot it pretty good, so that's usually what I shoot. A couple have scopes, but I have the most fun shooting open sights. Receiver sights are great also.

These little rifles will just keep shootin and shootin and shootin....Years ago I used to tear them down and thouroughly clean after every session, but now I just pull a bore snake down the bbl and wipe down the exterior.

Now, you have to decide which one to get - I prefer the older models, as they are a little smoother in cycling, and don't have that rediculous cross-bolt safety, but the new ones seem to serve just as well. If you watch the gun shows, and the online sites, you will have a huge selection to choose from - and like I said, it's real hard to stop at just one.....

Good luck and let us know which one(s) you get.

Shum8

·
Registered
187 Posts
IMHO it is the finest .22 ever created by the hand of man. People will say that H----- are smoother, but that is because the internals are made from zinc alloy stampings and are so soft. The marlin is all forged steel, and will be given to grandchildren somday. There is nothing finer, than a thirty niner

·
Registered
212 Posts
I agree with every word, mine shoots like a house on fire with remington golden bullets. Buy it, Wyo. and you'll never regret it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I bought one new in May. It’s a real nice rifle that looks and feels good. What amazes me about the rifle is the accuracy. At 50 yards with a sand bag rest and factory sights the accuracy of this rifle is amazing. Having bullet holes touching and overlapping each other isn’t too hard to do if I really concentrate. It’s also proven to equally deadly on rabbits, skunks, and cans. If you like lever actions and plinking with the 22 its hard to go wrong with one.

·
Registered
111 Posts
39's are the nicest 22 levers ever made, especially the older ones. The Henry's are good shooters and not bad for the money, but if you can afford a Marlin, get a Marlin. There is a WORLD of difference between the two, the Marlin being constructed of hammer forged steel, the Henry of what is really pot metal.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've been saving my pennies to get one of these myself. A local dealer
has a decent (but not perfect) used one for $360 - this seems kinda high
for me. Does anyone know what a good price for a lightly used 39A
would/should be in the NewEngland area ?

Many thanks !

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
oldyankee2 - I'm still kickin' myself for passing up a 39a Mountie last August at the L.L. Cote store in Errol, NH. It was pretty well used but in nice shape with better'n 90% blue & newly varnished stocks. Tag price was $250 which I thought was a decent price since they'll run $50-75 more than that here in my part of the country. Guy behind the counter said that was average for one in similar condition in that area. I kinda got the feelin' a man could've hauled out cash money and if he talked nice, might've gotten it for maybe ten bucks less than the tag price :?: . Would've made a nice companion for my old Golden 39a :( .

·
Registered
195 Posts
oldyankee2 said:
I've been saving my pennies to get one of these myself. A local dealer
has a decent (but not perfect) used one for $360 - this seems kinda high
for me. Does anyone know what a good price for a lightly used 39A
would/should be in the NewEngland area ?

Many thanks !
Seems a bit high for a used one. I paid that price for a new 39 in San Antonio.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
By all means get an older one. If it's ugly, it'll be cheaper and still shoot good! I just don't like the new ones: Too stiff and what the hell is that brown Hersey Bar Finish on the stocks they use these days?? I've got a 78 and there's no CBS and it's starting to loosen up a bit. Nice shooter for 275$$

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks, fellas !

I'll try to be patient and hunt around some more. I don't get up
to Errol much but it might be worth making a phone call or two ;-)
I'd love to get one of those Mountie models, but not so nice that
I'd feel bad about shooting it. Alot !

That store up in Errol can be a hidden gem - they had a bunch of
the Ruger Stainless Blackhawk Hunters in 45 Colt earlier this year that had me actually drooling. Unfortunately my wife decided we needed a new
wood stove... :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
39A

About 4 months ago I bought a Golden 39A, 1978 model unfired in the box at a a gun show. I just about left without getting it, I am so glad I didn't. I put a Lyman peep on the rear and a 1/16" white bead on the front and probably 4 cartons of shells later I think it may be my favorite gun period. I am in the process of making a pattern to duplicate the cases Marlin use to sell.

·
Registered
69 Posts
$360 is high. You can get a new one at WalMart for $379. They will probably have to order it but every store has the special order book at the firearms counter. I don't like WalMart but that is a good benchmark price for haggling with your local dealers.

It took me a year of looking but I finally found a 1986 , pre-crossbolt safety model in 90%+ condition for $190. It groups better than my CZ 452 trainer. 5 shots in one big hole at 50 yards with bulkpack Remington ammo.

·
Registered
159 Posts

Here's mine. I love it and wouldn't be without one. Without question one of the best quality rimfires made today. All blued steel and Walnut. Zero plastic and Aluminum. Bill T.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Re: 39A

thebear said:
I am in the process of making a pattern to duplicate the cases Marlin use to sell.
That got my attention - What cases? Carrying cases? Display? My imagination is running full steam ahead.

Shum8

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Re: 39A

thebear said:
I put a Lyman peep on the rear and a 1/16" white bead on the front and probably 4 cartons of shells later I think it may be my favorite gun period. I am in the process of making a pattern to duplicate the cases Marlin use to sell.
Post some pictures of that case when you git er done. I'd love to know what one looks like.

"It would be a crime not to get a boy a 39" in my best Johnny Cochrane voice

The only regret you will have is that it took you so long to get one. I own two and still want more...

·
Registered
10 Posts
39A Cases

The pattern that I am working on is for a carrying case, similar to the ones Marlin use to sell. I would like some input from some of you as to whether they should be canvas, leather or canvas with a leather trim? Lined or unlined? Also, I have thought about a separate compartment fitted for the bolt? I recently retired and am setting up a leather shop, progress is like on Big Timber time. Thanks, for any input. [email protected]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts