Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 39a golden.....what is a mountie? how do you tell?

my serial # starts with a "r"?

what is a mountie and what is the difference?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Straight stock makes a Mountie. My new '72 vintage "Original Golden 39M"

·
Registered
320 Posts
.... and save Sweet Nell from Snideley Whiplash. ;D

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
20" barrel, straight stock.

They will say...MARLIN GOLDEN 39-A MOUNTIE. At least some of them do, not to be confused with a 39-M.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Halwg said:
20" barrel, straight stock.

They will say...MARLIN GOLDEN 39-A MOUNTIE. At least some of them do, not to be confused with a 39-M.

+1,

they have 20" barrels and not 24" and it's stamped just like Hal posted......

·
Banned
3,041 Posts
Except for the first year "MOUNTIES" with a 24" barrel that are marked 39A . And lets not forget the next few years of "MOUNTIES" that do have a 20" barrel that are also just marked 39A. These are indeed MOUNTIES before they were ever marked as MOUNTIES .
Just as sure as a fat baby will smile when he poots , a 39 M is also a MOUNTIE . 8)

·
Banned
3,041 Posts
39A's

Mounties

Hope these pics help you . :)

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
If you are going to get a MOUNTIE, it needs to say MOUNTIE. A MOUNTIE is a MOUNTIE, and not a 39-M, which is a 39-M. I know we are splitting hairs here, and yes, technically a 39-M is a mountie. But, if I was going to buy a MOUNTIE, it would be one that actually said MOUNTIE on the barrel, and not just an impostor. ;D

·
Registered
320 Posts
That's like saying a 336RC isn't a Texan because it doesn't say Texan. Hogwash. What does the M in 39M mean?

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
M = M. LOL. And you are right. A 336 RC isn't a Texan, even if you want to call it one. I'm a purist. If it doesn't say what it is, then it isn't. ;D

Anyway, just like another post I made...We continue to agree to disagree. It's what makes the world go round.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have posted this before but hope it helps each person come to their own conclusion on what a “Mountie” is.

This is an old thread with some good and some so so info in it. I will explain the Mountie history I have researched. Most has come from Brophys Marlin book, my guns as examples and Marlin catalogs. The Mountie was introduced in 1953 with a 24-inch barrel. The description in the 1953 catalog says it is a 20-inch barrel but the picture shows a 24-inch barrel. The 1954 guns had 20-inch barrels and the catalog has the correct 20-inch barrel pictured. 1953’s had Ballard rifling. There were 58 Ballard rifled 20 inch Mounties made in 1954. From 1953 thru late 1956-1957, the barrels were marked only 39A. The 1954 on with Micro Groove rifling say Micro Groove on the barrel, Ballard rifled say nothing. Marlin started to drill and tap the receivers for scope mounts in 1956. In 1957, the gold trigger, white line spacer and sling swivels were added. The barrels were marked “Golden 39A-Mountie". This continued through 1969. All mine from 1957-1968 say “Golden 39A Mountie on the barrel. In 1970, only the 39-Century Ltd was in the catalog. In 1971 the 39D, 39-Century, 39A Article II and 39M Article II were in the catalog. In 1972 the 39A, 39A Article II, 39M and 39 Century Ltd are in the catalog. In the description of the 39M, it refers to it as the “Mountie”. This description as a “Mountie” in in the catalogs for several more years. In 1973 the 39A, 39A Octagon, 39D, 39M, 39M Octagon and 39 Century Ltd are in the catalog. In 1974, only the 39A and 39M are in the catalog. The 1974 catalog is the first that the 39M is pictured with a square lever. I have a 1973 with a square lever and have never seen a 39M with a round lever. My early 39M’s have the same barrel as my late Golden 39A Mounteis. Some of the late 1970’s on 39M’s had a more tapered barrel but are not as slim as my 39 Carbines. The 39M was discontinued in 1987. It was replaced in 1988 with the 39TDS. The gold triggers were discontinued in 1982 and reinstated in 1985. As far as the question about gold painted lettering, on most of my guns I can see at least a trace of gold but I do not have any info as to whether all were painted gold or not. Hope this makes since and helps straighten the time line out

·
Registered
258 Posts
Halwg said:
M = M. LOL. And you are right. A 336 RC isn't a Texan, even if you want to call it one. I'm a purist. If it doesn't say what it is, then it isn't. ;D

Anyway, just like another post I made...We continue to agree to disagree. It's what makes the world go round.
Well I guess there aren't ANY Texans then - because not a single rifle was ever marked Texan on the barrel (or anywhere else except the catalogue and possibly the box). Too bad - I really liked those Texans. I guess they are all Ts or RCs now. I can live with that but Marlin seemed to go out of their way to market/id them as "Texans".

FYI - By your definitiion you are not truly a "Purist" unless you are so marked on your barrel? You might want to check. :eek: ;) ;D

·
Banned
3,041 Posts
LOL!.... Lordy lord ,

NO PICS NEEDED Hal. ;D ;D

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I don't know about the 336 being a "Texan"or not, but I DO have a model 1897 TEXAN (.22 LR, straight stock, 20" octagon barrel) so marked on the barrel. I think the previous model, with 24"barrel, was marked the "Cowboy".

Luisyamaha

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

new to the forum and recently got a 39A short barrel. I have a bit of confusion on the date code, and don't know if it is an "N" or a "Z". If held sideways so that the numbers are oriented correctly it would read as an N. If held with the barrel pointed up it would read as a Z and the numbers aren't oriented to be read.

To confuse the issue more, it is a 20" "Mountie" straight stock, white buttplate spacer. Barrel is engraved only with 39A, no "golden", no "mountie". Blue trigger. microgrooved. So, is it a 1955 pre-mountie 20", or is it a 1964 mountie that they were making without the golden trigger and put on a plain 39A barrel?

Regardless, it is in pristine shape and I'm happy to have it!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
The 39M is not a Mountie from what I have been told by the experts.. .. the Mountie had a slimmer forend than the M carbine they were manufactured during some of the same years.. They are different.. just minor cosmetic wood and then stamped Mountie is all..

1 - 20 of 50 Posts