Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all these years of having a 39A on my wish list, I finally stumbled across a NICE 66' vintage golden at reasonable $ yesterday. It even had a nice Lyman 66 peep installed. Didn't even put it on layaway, I just took her right home.
Two things need "fixing" to make the gun perfect. First, while the trigger is crisp, it needs lightening. I've done a dozen or so (competant and safe) trigger jobs in the past but am a little nervous about tearing this gun apart to get at the guts. Does anybody have instructions / pointers for getting the trigger/sear/hammer out /back in for polishing?

p.s. Only other "need" is that the marlin bullseye is mising from the butstock heel. Might as well replace it. Can I get replacements from marlin or E-gunparts?

Thanks in advance.
pm's welcome

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I am sure Marlin will give you the bullseye,,, can't help with other question.. I don't do triggers.. :lol:

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
If you can wait a coupl'a days, I'll scan the pages in my rimfire assembly/disassembly book on the 39A. If you'll PM me your e-mail address I'll send you a copy. Cheers :wink: -

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both.
I actually found the bullseye at brownells for $2. I could use a few more 5 round mags for my Marlin 2000 which they also carry so I'll place an order ASAP.

Nobody, I would appreciate that teardown info. It's likely just what I need to get the nerve to dive in.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Snail mail Marlin a note with your S/N, and they'll send take down instructions, and an owners manual for free. I don't have their surface mail addy handy, but it's on the contact us bar on the Marlin Firearms web site. They won't do these requests over the internet....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
425 Posts
Bulls Eye Marlin 39-A

marlin will send you a bulls eye for free. Just call them, It will be square on each end have to sand it to fit stock. Bob

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I don't know if it is the same for the newer guns as for the '66, but a Wolff mainspring dropped the trigger pull on mine from 5 to 3 lbs. If it is gritty or creepy I guess the spring alone won't help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got off the phone with the nice lady at Marlin.
Got a manual and bullseye coming free of charge.
Always liked their simplified phone service. ( Not quite as convienient as the net but allot more personal) .
With the info I got from Nobody39, I'll get the trigger slicked this weekend. Thanks much to all whoe helped/responded!
Dave

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Thats why we are here.. :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts