Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im shopping for a 39a now and know the newer ones have some issues. Does anyone know what years to avoid?

Of course the older ones would be great but the only old one near me is an octagon barrel for 1200 and the next one I found is a 2010 model at a lower price. I don't know if I should avoid the 2010. FYI I dislike the octagon barrels.

Thanks!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Personally, I would avoid anything with a cross bolt safety. My first 39A was an '82 model and it spoiled me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have several Marlin 39's ranging from the 40's to the early 80's no issues with any of em.
I understand the older ones are gonna be a no questions never have to worry about guns. My question was the newer ones that have FTF and FTE problems, what years did they start having issues.

Basically what year did they start going bad? Just so I can avoid it.
Personally, I would avoid anything with a cross bolt safety. My first 39A was an '82 model and it spoiled me.
When did the cross bolt safety come out?

Appreciate the response Joe & Scott

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
Specifically avoid the late 2000's. I also have a few from 50's 60's and 70's. All excellent rifles

I would advise to watch this site for a decent rifle then jump on it if you want. Patience is the key to finding yourself a good one.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You don't like the octagon barrels? Blasphemy! Well, I guess each to there own... I've been drawn to octagon barrels like a moth to a flame. Just picked up an early 39 (no A) and it's blast to shoot. Good luck finding your "right for you" 39.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't like the octagon barrels? Blasphemy! Well, I guess each to there own... I've been drawn to octagon barrels like a moth to a flame. Just picked up an early 39 (no A) and it's blast to shoot. Good luck finding your "right for you" 39.
I don't know about the shape. It just doesnt fit my view of a classic rifle. Kind of unorthodox looking to me for some reason.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The cross bolt safety was added in 1988. You can't miss it on one. I passed on a 1897 Cowboy locally just because of the safety. Granted, it was a sweet looking rifle, but it just doesn't speak to me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
don't over look the 39d. the beater i picked up is one sweet shooter. just so nice....... every time i come home from the range i am a happy man. what ever you get you won't be disapointed.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm going to look at a 1979 39m tomorrow. Price is $525 firm so I'm not to sure if this one will come home to join the 1969 Golden 39a Mountie. Last week I looked at an 1893 .32-40. Neat old Marlin that had a octagonal/round barrel. The octagon part ended where the stock ended and it was round from there to the end of the barrel. The octagon barrels are real classics, especially when they have a peep on the tang. I don't reload or I would have bought that rifle.
Marlinitis is a chronic sickness.

Reactions: raindawg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to look at a 1979 39m tomorrow. Price is $525 firm so I'm not to sure if this one will come home to join the 1969 Golden 39a Mountie. Last week I looked at an 1893 .32-40. Neat old Marlin that had a octagonal/round barrel. The octagon part ended where the stock ended and it was round from there to the end of the barrel. The octagon barrels are real classics, especially when they have a peep on the tang. I don't reload or I would have bought that rifle.
Marlinitis is a chronic sickness.
That sounds like a good price for a 39m.

I absolutely hate that I caught the case of marlinitis... I have a model 60 with a fixed 4 power scope, a XT-22VR with a variable scope, now I just need my lever with a peep sight and I will be perfect!...until another one pops up...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are 3 of them sitting at my local gunshop, price is high and ones a mountie octagon.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
If a cross bolt model from '88 up to the mid 2000 yr. is offered at a good price I would not turn one down as they can be tuned to work as well as any. My wife got a 1990 for $300 and it looks new. Had some problems with ftf and it was in the rebound hammer. It is easy to do away with that feature and make them 100% reliable. Also you can do the crossbolt delete with the dummy screw for the hole where the crossbolt goes. The older more in demand guns are getting harder to come buy and are not affordable to some peoples income. If you want a 39A buy a crossbolt for less money and go to rimfirecentral and member "Gizzy" will give you the instructions to make it as reliable as the old rifles. My wifes works so well and is so accurate it is one of our favorites out of the 15 that we now own.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Specifically avoid the late 2000's. I also have a few from 50's 60's and 70's. All excellent rifles

I would advise to watch this site for a decent rifle then jump on it if you want. Patience is the key to finding yourself a good one.
What he said!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have several. They are all fine rifles. Look over any potential purchase. If it looks good, buy it. If you need something fixed, the new rifles have a warranty for the original purchaser and gun smiths have worked on the model 39 for a hundred years or more. Fantastic little rifle.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i recently was able to get a 1947 39a for a great price. Very nice rifle. My first impression was how nose heavy it felt compared to the my 1971 39d. funny how that 4 inches of barrel and possibly the front hand guard add to front end weight. It is not overly heavy just saying there is a difference. the weight of the 39d seems more evenly distributed throughout the rifle.

I do like the front sight hood and trigger tab. they may become new additions to my 39d.

i am hoping to see even better accuracy from the 39a at the range.

I was also kind of taken back regarding the finish of the two rifles. the inside of the 47 of the receiver was almost as smooth as the outside and the 39d has circular machining marks.

now still being new to marlins i am not sure if this is an oddity. I can only assume that marlins decided to cut costs as they really don't affect function of the rifle but are unsightly.

i am going to reserve final impressions until after several range sessions. i am sure that both will serve me well for years to come.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
While I prefer the pre crossbolt safety guns all 39a's made before Remlin got them are great. IMHO.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
There is a nice 1981 model 39a listed here in the classified section. I'd buy it if I didn't already have one. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts