Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on another forum and didn't get much of a response. Hopefully someone has some info here on MO.

After pawing through Brophy's it looks like the 39a has had at least 3 front ramp configurations. First, it looks like early-on they had a ramp front that was attached with a dovetail. Next was a long ramp that apparently was also used on the 336 and attached with 2 screws. That long ramp was followed by a short ramp version that also was used on the 336, and was/is attached with 2 screws.

Can anyone advise what years each was introduced/discontinued?

Don

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2013
962 Posts
When you get back to these years I do not think anything was written in stone.

In 1939 the A came along and had the dovetail front. I have seen them without the sight hood.
these sold in 1940 also with the B seral number coming in 1941. In 1945 there are rifles that have the old style and the newer 2 screw i believe what you are calling the long version. There were also case hardened recievers in 1945 from old stock and blued recievers.

SO the dovetail pre 1945 with a few leftovers in 1945.
Best of my ability answer on the second switch it think happened half way into 1957 on the run that made them into golden's.

I have not checked my 1958 39a to compair the sights to the 1945 model. I do think when it switched to Golden 39a and once again some 1957's fall into Golden and some regular. They must have had 2 runs in the factory.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts