Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know the difference between a Marlin 39A and a 39AS? If I were a gambling man I'd bet it had something to do with the infernal cross-bolt saftey but I really have no idea.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Actually the S was added to 39a in 1988 for an addition of the hammer block safety and a rebounding hammer. It also has swivel studs added to the buttstock and forearm tip. According to Brophy no changes were made to the barrel, wood, finish and fit of parts, and the action was still machined from six steel forgings that are heat treated after being machined for greater strength and wearability.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sure-Shot. That's about what I figured but I just wanted to make sure. I've got a chance to pick-up one that is practically brand new and has a Marble's tang sight installed for $320 but I wanted to know what I was getting into before I opened my checkbook. I think my '57 39A is getting lonely in the safe and needs a little .22 company.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
The price I have seen on tang sites that sounds like a good deal.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Everybody can have what they want is true.BUT if you were to ask me what I think of tang sights you might hate me for it. To my way of thinking they,tang sights,are great for target,but about the biggest handicap ever devised for putting on a field rifle.WHY ??I'm glad you asked. Because they get in your way for fast handling for running game such as rabbits. I like to grasp the wrist of the stock,and having large hands the dang tang sight gets in the way. When sitting at the bench they work very well.But that is the only time,FOR ME. I know you didn't ask but because you are a nice guy, I thought I might give another point of view. Great for sighting in for cartridge evaluation in your gun,but then take them off and learn to trust your open sights to become a good field shot. OK I'm done.I'll shut up.modoc

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that's sound advice modoc and very practical. I don't have the first firearm that is set-up to nothing but punch holes in paper. I guess the tang sight is like the large lever loop I put on an 1895 Winchester once. It looked great but wasn't worth a crap when it came time to go into the field as it increased the cycle time so much. Needless to say it didn't stay on very long.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I've got a Taurus tang sight on my 1890. It's staying on for a couple of reasons. The depth of field is incredible. It is very fast to acquire a sight picture with, and wickedly accurate, even on running game. The 1890 was designed for use with a tang sight- plenty of room on the straight grip for it, and my glove size is X-L. I can see how it would cramp things on a 39-A- the grip is much shorter. I'm happy with the Williams reciever peep I have on my 39-A. It ain't going no where either.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the new (to me) 39AS showed-up yesterday. What a beauty! Now my older 39A has some company in the safe. What I thought was a Marbles tang sight turned-out to be a Lyman No. 2 tang sight. All I can say is that I certainly learned something. The tang sight is nothing short of fantastic! I have big hands so there is no problem wrapping my paws around the stock with the sight in the folded position. I take back everything negative I ever thought about tang sights. This is one accessory that is as functional as it is good looking. I can understand how they might not be for everybody but they certainly work fo me. I'm going to keep the factory folding sights on as well for fast moving game such as rabbit. It'll be easy enough to fold it down and raise the tang for distance shooting. It's now got me thinking about yanking the scope off of my 1895ss .45-70 and putting a tang on it as well.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I've removed the factory leaf rear sights from both my 1890 and 39-A for an uncluttered sight picture. When I need/want a fast sight I simply unscrew the aperture and use it's mounting hole as a ghost ring- simple, effective, fast and accurate...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good advice Doc Sharptail. I do the same thing with my other 39A that has a Williams peep sight so I don't know why I didn't think about that. Vapor lock I guess. Thanks.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ah yes,now you got it.Reciever sights,wonderful additions.Best sights going.A whole world apart from TANG sights. You didn't ask about them. If you had the answer would have been a whole lot different...The only problem with reciever sights and collectable guns is the holes you must drill to attach them. NO WAY.So most of my guns do not have a chance to better sighting equipment..modoc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts