Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm considering getting my first lever action 22, a 39A, but I feel like I've entered a field of confusion. The local guy at Scheels says they're not made anymore, they one the have in stock that is in excellent condition, but nevertheless used, and they want $679 for it. I thought these guns went for around $550? Not being a gun guy let me ask these questions:

1. Is the 39A still being made?

2. Can they still be purchased new?

3. What is a fair retail price?

My backup plan is to get a Henry H001T. I'm sure Henry is probably of fine company and they make a good rifle, but I compared it side-by-side with the 39A and the 39A just shouldered better, felt better, and I think breaks down to clean easier.

So, do I need to put up with the overpriced hype or if I wait a while will Marlin get production going again?

Thanks,
ike

·
Registered
409 Posts
I bought a new 39A two weeks ago. I bought it from a store near Toronto.
http://www.ellwoodepps.com/

They had several new 39A rifles on hand all winter. When I saw they had only one left, I bought it.
This one is bran new, made by the old Marlin Company in 2009.

It cost me $608 Cdn. I believe our $ is worth a bit more than yours right now.

There are no 39A on the inventory at this time.

They have pages and pages of new Marlins that were not on the inventory a few months ago; they must be from the new Marlin Company. For example, a 336Y is selling for $440 Cdn, a 308MX sells for $602 and the 1894C for $616 Cdn.

The new version 39A must be out there somewhere; I have not seen one.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

JDP
Team 35 # 88
Team 30-30 # 82
Team 39 # 31

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Ike , you wouldn't happen to live in Iowa and the Scheels wouldn't be the one at Coral Ridge Mall ?

They have 2 there a 1981 with sling for $499 and a 1995 with sling n scope for $699 told them they were overpricing them by about $200-300 , he told me the same thing..
I told him NOT ,, and that I just bought 3 used ones made in the 50"s for average of $380,, don't think he believed me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MuleCrazy said:
Ike , you wouldn't happen to live in Iowa and the Scheels wouldn't be the one at Coral Ridge Mall ?
MuleCrazy,

No, I'm in Fargo, ND. This store is also connected to their headquarters offices. That isn't important but I thought I'd mention it out of general interest. :)

The 39A was originally marked at $699 and I offered $650 which I thought was more than fair - remember, this gun may be nearly in mint condition, but it is still a used firearm. If I'm paying full price, and then some, it better come with the original box, paperwork, manuals, dancing girls (well, maybe not that), etc.

He did some price checking then came back and said Scheels wasn't feeling too generous (his actual words) and he could take nothing less than $679. Didn't feel right so I walked.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The 39A production along with all other Marlin production has been moved from North Haven Conn. The 39A production was moved to Ilion New York. I have not heard any reports of new Ilion 39A’s showing up yet. There will be no more North Haven Conn. Made Marlins. There will be Ilion 39A’s made by the Remington owned Marlin eventually. There maybe guns made with the old roll mark or barrels made in North Haven. A North Haven gun will have the JM proof mark on the left side of the barrel. A new Remington made Marlin will have a REP proof mark on the right side of the barrel. The current availability of new 39A’s seems very tight. I believe a new 39A should run $500 to $550 or did run that in the past year or so. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts