Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the bug...Marlinitis I think you guys call it. Having suffered through Garnaditis and AR15itis, I know the prognosis is dim.

Now that I've got one pre-x bolt safety marlin, I want another..Specifically one manufactured in my birth year...There are several on GB in good to excellent condition, but the prices are just ridiculous...$800.00 or more.

Are people really buying them at these prices or is it just wishful thinking on the part of the seller??

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
If you are serious about getting a 39A be prepared to bust out the wallet. GB sellers always seem a bit high. If you live in or near a big town be patient and keep looking at the gun/pawn shops. I have found that small town gun/pawn shops seem to price off GB asking prices. I found a gun shop in Barlington Ar (near Ft Smith) that had 5 or 6 of them when I was looking. The guys there were great to deal with and treated me more than fair. Keep looking (it's a big part of the fun) and you will find what you are looking for at a reasonable price. On a side note, if you think you have Marlinitis now, wait till you get a 39, they are an addiction all on their own. They are like lays potato chips, no one can have just one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too was stricken earlier this year and have bought 3 so far. SurveyBob is right they are like lays I've bought a '57 39a a '71 39d and a '99 model 39a (which sure ain't from the same cloth as the first two)lol. I have found several for sale this year,they are out there just gotta hit pawn shops and I bought my first two off facebook. Good luck you will love them when you get one !

·
Registered
969 Posts
Check out the completed auctions on GB to see what they are actually selling for.
Here on the MO forum we are frequently treated to posts by members who found a "buy" at the LGS somewhere in America. We all feel they stole the rifle and secretly wish we could find a deal like that. But the sad truth is most of us are lazy and don't go on these scavenger hunts - the garage sale version searching for the "undiscovered treasure". We buy retail. And GB is as good as it gets for current retail prices. Some calibers may not be so much in demand in the South West where the shooting distances are much greater than the North East woods and local prices are affected accordingly. But GB treats us as equals in the same store. My point is that looking thru past auctions and at the quality of firearm offered will give you a good idea of current retail. Only you can be the judge of a good deal for your money. Now go out and satisfy your passion.

·
Registered
308 Posts
On the other hand - they are sometimes made available here on MO by members. I have bought an early Mountie, a 39d and a 46 model 39a (with a vintage receiver sight even) and most recently an 1895g right here on this site. It has been my experience that the members here are very honest about the guns they list. Each of mine has been as good or better than described. I know I certainly feel a lot better about sending a check off to someone that I know. You just have to be patient and when you see what you want - pounce! Or someone else will. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts