Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 39A that needs a new firing pin. H serial number prefix (1951). E-gunparts shows 39A new model and 39A old model with different firing pin numbers. Which do I need? Thanks and regards, Woody

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Good question - I am going to take a stab at it and say that the new model has the cross bolt safety and the old does not. I'm quite sure there are others here that will be able to give you a definate answer, so let's see what they say.

Shum8

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I believe the old model refers to the pre-cross bolt safety guns- at least it does in the literature Marlin sent me when I requested an owner's manual for my '54 39-A...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just had to replace one myself. I just called Marlin parts, gave them the Serial Number, sent them a check and within about a week, I had the correct pin.
dean

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guess I'll have to call Marlin. I checked Brownell's, they show a break at 1975 but are out of stock. Thanks for the replies. Regards, Woody

·
Registered
489 Posts
woody, I think you'll need to order from what they call the "late model". Take a look at the schematics on their web site and look at the lever and lower tang on both the early and late models and choose accordingly. One of my 39A's is a '57 model and I always order for the "late" model. The cross-bolt safety doesn't have anything to do with it as neither the early or the late models have them.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Mojo is correct. The early model 39a's are pre WWII. The rest fall into the late model versions. Early versions had a flat mainspring, (like the model 39) while all the rest are coil springs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts