Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this gun for about 2 years and it seemed like the extractor didn't pull about 1 in 20 rounds out of the chamber. I bought a new extractor from brownell's and the problem disapeared... until last week. My question is: is this a problem of the gun not liking the ammo? Is there something making the extractors wear out? If memory serves the problem happened before with remington golden bullets too, 'cause that's what I tend to find on sale. Is this a common problem?
Thanks for your help,
Zeke

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After further shooting and another new extractor, the problem still there, and it happens regardless of what ammo I use. Pushing a bullet into the chamber with my fingers, with the gun broken down, it seems like there's a point at which it is a very, very tight fit (too tight?). Any thoughts before I take this thing to a gunsmith or send it back to Marlin?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I took my 39A apart and manually inserted a bullet into the chamber. Gravity alone was almost enough force to almost get it completely in there. The rest of the way was easily pushed in with my finger. I suspect there is some type of a bur in the chamber. I would give Marlin a call. Since its two years old it will still be under warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I would suspect Drice is right. Sometimes the firing pin will strike the top of the chamber (dry firing). It may not be visible but you can feel it with a probe. It creates a little burr that will make extraction difficult.

A new firing pin I purchased required a litte profiling to keep it from peening the top edge that creates that burr. The first one I filed too much :( and then started getting misfires...

I paid a little dumb tax but learned from it, I hope :?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. The bullets slide in easy for about the first 3/4 of the way and the get very tight for the last 1/4. That makes me think the burr or whatever is further up in the chamber (22 LRs don't have any taper do they?).

·
Registered
485 Posts
no rimfire has a tapper that i know of hornet rounds look like they have :) i'd run a bore brush in it real well then ck it & see if its helped any, mike243

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Take down the 39 and remove the bolt.
Color a 22 round with a black ink marker.
Push the round into the chamber with your finger,paying close attention to how it is turned.
Push the round out of the rifle from the muzzle end with a cleaning rod.
If you have a burr it will scratch the inked surface of the 22 round.
This will show you where the burr is.If it is at the fireing pin striking point.it can be easily removed with a sharp pointed pocket knive.

This is no big deal,I have done it on lots of guns ,even 22 revolvers that had been snapped on empty chambers to much.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Before you insert a cartridge into the chamber, mark the 12 o'clock position with a felt pin on the bottom of the case, then you can see for sure what the orientation is to the problem.
While you're looking, take a look at the recess next to the chamber, where the extractor seats when the bolt is fully forward. If there's crud in that area it will hold the extractor away from the rim and not let it catch. A small dental pick os bent paper clip will clean the area out if there's crud there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar extraction problem with Remingtons with my new 39AS. I switched to Winchester Super X high velocity hollow points (37 gr.) and have not had a problem since. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was having a similar problem. When I dropped a round into the chamber it would stop about 3/4 of the way and when I would extract the round it would be much harder yet. The problem was the cartridge guide spring. This is a flat spring under the receiver just in front of the chamber. I backed off the screw in the top of the receiver (its the larger one just behind the first scope base screw hole). The rim was hitting this spring and hanging up. After I did this a round will fall in and out of the chamber freely. I proably caused the problem by tighiting all the screws when I first bought the rifle.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
If the only one that gives such trouble is the Remington goldens..switch to some good ammo...probably getting your 39 too dirty to function correctly...LOL...only kidding..

..But I have noticed that Rems seem dirtier than many others..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts