Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given an old Mountie that was found in an abandoned hardware store. It was manufactured in the late 50's. The only problem that is more than cosmetic it a dent in the mag tube. It is a small dent that still allows the inner tube to slide, but makes it a difficult pull and push.

I plan to re-blue the gun and refinish the stock. My question is: Does anyone have a method to remove the dent? I kind of feel that if I had a solid rod the exact diameter needed, I could slide it passed the dent then tap around it until it was brought out enough to allow the inner to pass unobstructed. Coming up with that exact rod may be problematic however. The other option is to simply replace the outer tube.

What is the opinion of the folks here?

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Remove the tube. Get a set of small sockets. Find one that will enter the tube and advance I down to the dent. Tap the edge of the dent with a brass hammer as you advance the socket. Repeat this process until the socket will pass easily through the tube.

You will need something to push the socket, perhaps from both sides, if it gets stuck.

I have removed dents from shotgun barrels this way. Might be a challenge finding a socket small enough if this is a .22 barrel. But you might find a section of steel stock that will fit. Or fashion one if you have a lathe.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
With a new Brownells/ Midway tube you'll need to drill for the retaining pin. Tiny drill, can't remember the size, got mine at Harbor Freight. After cutting to length and deburring, position tube in rifle with the inner tube in place. The plastic follower should peek out slightly into the action at the cartridge guide and the loading slot should be down. Then tape tube to barrel and remove inner tube before drilling. Actually a fairly easy job.
The tube I bought was a Marlin part and worked perfectly.

Attachments

Reactions: owlguns

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
A source for various-sized rods of different diameters would be drill shanks, that's if you have no lathe access. If you have access to metric ones as well, that takes care of the case of being in-between fractional and number sizes. A little Dremel work with a cutoff disk would give you a dent remover. Sub-sized brass rod from Ace for a driver.

I'd stick with the existing tube and fix it, there's a later inner/outer set where the latch area is different, can't really sub an old inner into a new outer. Need both bits for the swap. I did the later inner/outer swap on my 39A, the latch area was too worn to fix on the original.

Stan S.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
IMG_2149.jpeg

these mag tubes are out of stock everywhere, permanently it seems like, and it might be a bit silly to put a shiny new mag tube on my old ugly 1961 mountie. so in measuring the inner mag tube I'm getting measurement of .351
I'll order a couple lengths of brass rod in 11/32 and 3/8 and try driving a .351 bullet down the tube to get the wrinkle out and if that does not work get real busy and set up one of my little lathes that have been packed away for years and turn the 3/8" rod down to .3512 or so.
any thoughts or suggestions on this?

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
Oweee, sorry about that. Did you try Midway USA I know I saw one here a few days back some where.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Talk about resurrecting an old thread. Sure would be nice to hear from owlguns the resolution. I would have tried fixing it first using HIKayaker's suggestion.

·
Banned
545 Posts
I would hit the hardware store, find an aluminum rod the SAME inside diameter as the tube,
hand file the end to a very slight and very gradual tapper a few inches long on one end, grease it up, insert and when you get to the dent,... lightly start tapping, spinning, pushing and pulling, the exposed end of the rod until it goes through smoothly.

Takes a little time, but, anything worth doing usually does.

But, I would only do this to keep it totally original, regardless of finish/stock condition,...
if not keeping it original.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I know this is an old thread but.........Just get a steel rod that fits easily in the tube, weld a nut on one end. Near the other end weld a bead on one side of the steel rod. File the weld until it fits perfectly in the undamaged part of the tube. insert your new tool onto the tube and turn it when you get to the damaged area. Presto chango.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
I went to the best source I know of, manufacturers supply corp, and thought brass would be best but after reading comments I'm going back and see if they might have a more exact size, .351, in another material.
I'll make punches out the rest of the brass. I could get drill rod and do the weld bead too, thanks for the advice

1 - 14 of 14 Posts