Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 1961 39a . I am in the middle of initial take down & cleaning . I can not get her to break free . I have had a 1953 39a which came apart fairly easy .
Can anybody give me a little advice on how to break her apart without doing damage ?
Thanks ,
Al

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Have you tried cocking her to the half-cock safety position and then giving the right side of the action a sharp tap with a soft mallet/rubber hammer.
Mine is a 78 model and when I got it at the turn of the century it hadn't been opened for over 20 years and was stuck fast.
Just don't hit it too hard:ahhhhh:

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
I believe the instructions say 1/2 cock, but I have a 1957 that will not budge unless the hammer is fully cocked. I've adapted to it's way of thinking, because it also won't go back together unless at full cock as well.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tenex , I will give that a try . I need to go to fetch a rubber mallet at work . I've tried dropping some oil in the cracks on the left side of the receiver & then hitting the left side of the barrel on a padded work bench . It will open up about a 1/4 inch but no more then that . I'm afraid to hit it too hard '...........

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
9mm , I will try that as well .............

·
Registered
86 Posts
Are you sure the thumb screw is fully loosened, it can open a little if the screw is only part way out. I've made that mistake myself.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes Michaels , fully loosened .

Reactions: Michaels

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it !
Fully cocked it is .

Thanks for the quick replies !

Pics to follow in a new thread .

Al

Reactions: Michaels

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
I found that my '97 requires full cock also, to take down.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
All I've ever done was lay em across my lap and slap them.

Tip, when you put it together it does not really require that much force on the screw to keep it together. I use a quarter and that seems to be a good common constant for most everybody. After the initial cleaning the common quarter tighten they seem to come apart easier.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Glad you sorted it. Swanny is correct about over-tightening that screw though. It was the first mistake I made when I put mine together and found that the action seemed a bit too tight to cycle. Loosened it of slightly and it worked really nice.
I have been reading with some dismay the state of these new Remlins and find it hard to believe that a company with such a history as Remington could have gone downhill in such a short time.
A friend has just bought a new Marlin in .357Mag and the wood to metal fit is atrocious. But when I had a shoot with it I couldn't help but notice that the front sight seemed to be canted over to the left, and it wasn't just a smidgen, it was really bad. Didn't say too much about it as he was already p***ed-off with the quality.
Why on earth did they sell the company off in the first place. :hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.