Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your opinions, to an untrained eye would the glossy stock of a 39a golden appear to have been refinished? Asking because I found one that is a ways away and the guy in the gun shop said that the metal is perfect but the stock appears to have been refinished. I don't want to waste to much time but don't want to make a bad mistake either. He is unable to send me any pics for a few days. Thoughts?

Todd

edit: So I found out that it was made in 1966, and it has a glossy stock, is that correct or should it have an oil finished one?

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
Hey Todd,

I have 2 from the 50's including the one I got from you. They both appear to be hand rubbed. Same with the 2 '64 models I have. The '72 has a glossy finish and it is original. Don't know that this helps. Just what I see on mine

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't look in the Brophy book but the BB mentions that you add 30% to pre 70 oil stocks. I'm not sure whether that means all were oil or just some of them?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
In your opinions, to an untrained eye would the glossy stock of a 39a golden appear to have been refinished? Asking because I found one that is a ways away and the guy in the gun shop said that the metal is perfect but the stock appears to have been refinished. I don't want to waste to much time but don't want to make a bad mistake either. He is unable to send me any pics for a few days. Thoughts?

Todd

edit: So I found out that it was made in 1966, and it has a glossy stock, is that correct or should it have an oil finished one?
That was in the Marshield era, I've never seen a factory-finished 39A stock that was oil. Hard to do oil on a production line basis. My personal 39A has a Tru-Oil finish on it because they never filled the pores before applying the finish. Bugged the hell out of me, so I gave it a few coats of oil to make the surface flush. So if you've got a stock that's fairly shiny but has pock-marks where the pores of the wood weren't filled, it's most probably factory Marshield.

If you're going to shoot it, who cares, if the price is right and the refinisher didn't bugger it up? They're not that common in these parts and a refinished stock gives some leverage on the price. '66 would be a Microgroove and should be great build quality. Just make sure the wood is flush with the metal and not sanded down.

Stan S.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Todd

Toad67 - was the 39A in Missouri? If so I may have just bought the one you speak of. I've been wanting a 39A for a long time and couldn't pass it up, no matter what the status of the stock finish.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Family Pawn in Sedalia, MO? If so, yes, that was it. I was waiting for the guy to send me some pics and I was going to buy it. The pics that I seen online sucked and wanted some better ones before I pulled the trigger on it. So what kind of shape was it in you dog!
Toad67 - was the 39A in Missouri? If so I may have just bought the one you speak of. I've been wanting a 39A for a long time and couldn't pass it up, no matter what the status of the stock finish.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yep, that's it, sorry man.

I'll let you know the condition I find tomorrow - I bought it after looking at the same online pics on GB. I called them to see if they could arrange getting it to Jefferson City, MO (they have another pawn shop here), and they said they could bring it over tomorrow. I bought it, taking a big chance, but he said they'd refund me fully if I'm not happy. I don't think I'll be unhappy. But we'll see.

I am SO thrilled to be picking this up tomorrow - been wanting one for a long time, and the deal worked for me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I understand Toad. Believe me, I won't be any competition for more 39A's for a while. I don't buy too many guns, got a small collection only.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So - I'd like to continue the discussion Toad67 began (I'm the buyer of the gun shown in the pics) - the finish on the gun is quite glossy - almost too good to be true, in my opinion. The nice thing is the wood has almost no dings or dents to speak of. If its original I don't want to mess with it; however I am considering stripping the stock and doing a Tru-oil rubbed in finish in a more satin like look. All in all, I am very happy with the gun, its my first, may not be my last. :)

Details:

The good: furniture finish is nice (but glossy as noted) with really pretty grain on the walnut stock, all the metal has a similar patina throughout, only minor imperfections, nothing major. All the screws are in very nice condition, no screwdriver crazies got ahold of the hardware. Action works nice, and from a look down the bore the barrel is very nice and shiny inside. Scope was a plus, its a Bushnell Sportview 3-9x?.

The not so good (but not deal-breakers): Missing the front sight hood, the adjuster part of the rear sight, the front sling attachment point (screws into the metal band?), and the little side-wing attachment for the hammer. The scope mount base doesn't look original, looks like it was bought when the scope was put on. Slight 'push marks' on the front sight.

By the way - the pawn shop had the description all wrong - this is a 66 model, no safety, no checkering on stock.

How do you get pics from photobucket to the site?? I'm registered on the photo site.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Cant even begin to call that a bad deal . If its a shooter it shouldn't matter . If the Gloss bothers you just knock it down a little with some steel wool. Nice looking wood under that gloss . I like it :congrats:
Enjoy it !
Al

·
Registered
7 Posts
Haha! Good snag; I was emailing him last week about the pictures and he said he get me some by last Monday, but then he said it sold locally. Oh well, at least somebody here got it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Cant even begin to call that a bad deal . If its a shooter it shouldn't matter . If the Gloss bothers you just knock it down a little with some steel wool. Nice looking wood under that gloss . I like it :congrats:
Enjoy it !
Al
I was going to recommend the same, OOOO steel wool will do just fine on taking down the gloss.
If you don't like the result you can always refinish. Read up on it, it's fun. I used tru oil and mineral spirits, 50/50 for the first couple coats then finished up with several coats of 100% tru oil. I buddy of mine recommended wet sanding with 2000 grit instead of the steel wool due to steel particles ending up in the finish. Haven't used that process yet. I did use the steel wool to smooth out the finish after every coat though. In the end it turned out beautifully (1894).
Instead of sanding down the finish, use a spray stripper. I'm getting ready to do my Golden 39A that has a marshield finish. I'll probably go with boiled linseed oil this time. I live in the south west and moisture is not an issue.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts