Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, had the 39A out yesterday, I have not shot it much since I got it but I am getting a FTF 1 in 10 shots.

Pull the trigger and Click. Pull the hammer back again and Bang.

Not tired any other ammo in it, im using Winchester 22LR.

Its got a rebound hammer.

any ideas ?

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Hey straycat...please let us know what you come up with to fix it. Good luck and happy shootin!

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
I went around the rebound hammer by replacing it with an older hammer, and trigger. The cross bolt safety dos nothing now, so I need to make a plug for that, like the ones used on the 1894's, and 336's.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
in another forum, someone mentioned they removed the "Lower leg of the rebound strut" and no more rebound hammer and no more FTF. anyone know what this means, where id' locate it and how to do it ?

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
If you remove the stock, you will see the strut. It is mounted to the hammer, and has the spring around the back part of it. It has two finger, so to speak, the bottom on hits the Hammer on the tree bound. That is what they are talking about.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
You can grind the lower leg off the strut but you may need to go to a reduced power main spring as it may have to much force on the hammer. Also you will lose the half-cock on your rifle. The half-cock will still be there but if you pull the trigger it will release the hammer from that position and may fire the round. It is recommended that you use the safety after modifying the strut. None of mine will fire from the half-cock position but I have the reduced power springs in mine. The possibility is still there for a ACD it hits the rim hard enough from half-cock. The reduced spring also makes the lever work with less effort and the trigger lighter. J&P is the best spring from what the guys on RimFire Central say.

bandit

·
Super Moderator
13,464 Posts
You can grind the lower leg off the strut but you may need to go to a reduced power main spring as it may have to much force on the hammer. Also you will lose the half-cock on your rifle. The half-cock will still be there but if you pull the trigger it will release the hammer from that position and may fire the round. It is recommended that you use the safety after modifying the strut. None of mine will fire from the half-cock position but I have the reduced power springs in mine. The possibility is still there for a ACD it hits the rim hard enough from half-cock. The reduced spring also makes the lever work with less effort and the trigger lighter. J&P is the best spring from what the guys on RimFire Central say.

bandit
With a little bit of time and patience you can deepen the halfcock notch to work. I considered doing this to my 39a quite a while back.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Most often if you just stone a little off the lower area on the firing pin it increases the dent to the rim area, no other mods are then necessary.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts