Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my extractor installed today.
I mic'd my extractor groove in my bolt at .125"
To Wisners credit, the 'nubs' are grooved and make for easy fitting.
I mic'd the nubs at the following: rear = .137" front (hook) = .134"

I fitted mine using a bastrd cut flat file. I brought the rear to .130" and the front to .129"

Using a nylon punch, I tapped the rear at an angle into the bolt to start it. It had enough tension that I could bend the hook portion into the groove and it stayed while I tapped the extractor the rest of the way into the bolt.

I had to file off about 1/2 of a thousandth to make it flush with the bolt.

I went out and cycled a magazine through it. It worked just fine and shot the spent brass 8-10 feet to the right.
I inspected the rim of the ejected cases and they all had a pretty good dig into them. Not damaging, just a good take on the brass case.

I would have to say Wisners got it right the first time. I would much rather do a bit of fitting than have a sloppy fitting part.
If raw metal bothers you, buy some Q tips and cold blue.

I am going to run a BUNCH of different ammo through it tomorrow. Particularly the Aguila Interceptors. These had some 'sticky' ejections with the factory piece of junk.
I will let you know.............................

So far, this is a 'must do' for a rifle my grand kids will shoot some day.

Reactions: Hare Splitter

·
Registered
140 Posts
Installed a wisner A39A-27 extractor on my M39 the other night and shot it today. No more failure to extract.! Great improvement and just a little filing and stone work ;D

·
Administrator
23,773 Posts
Thanks keep the good word going, solving the failure to extract problem is a great thing now if Marlin would just do the right thing in the first place.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
I purchased the last (the lady said) of the previous run of Wisners extractors about a week ago. Installed on the 2nd, ran through some aluminum dummy rounds and it just spit them out when I cycled them through!! I think Wisner's is out of stock on these until they machine another batch.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
swany, I noticed that my bolt side sticks out a bit from the side face after installing the Wisners extractor. I do believe the strong spring pushing on the sloped chamberside is causing this. Not a huge exposure, but different from how bolt was with "paperclip" extractor.

·
Administrator
23,773 Posts
One of the folks here on this thread did dress his down a little so it did not push so hard on closing might be what you need to do also.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Newby here. I have a mid 1960's 39 Mountie. I haven't shot it a great deal, but never had any problems like the ones posted FTE. Is this something I should worry about or do a pre-emptive repair. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
puma guy said:
Newby here. I have a mid 1960's 39 Mountie. I haven't shot it a great deal, but never had any problems like the ones posted FTE. Is this something I should worry about or do a pre-emptive repair. Thanks.
No yours will be fine.
The problems came about when the bean counters fixed the extractor that didn't need fixing.
And the Lawyers added the Cross-Bolt safety that the guns didn't need.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Schtoolee said:
No yours will be fine.
The problems came about when the bean counters fixed the extractor that didn't need fixing.
And the Lawyers added the Cross-Bolt safety that the guns didn't need.
Thanks. I sorta figured that may be the deal. The only problem I ever encountered with my 39 was when I let my brother shoot it. He would shoot one round and then every time he worked the lever there was no bang. He called me over and I shot it with no problem. I put it in battery, handed it to him and after the first shot --nothing! It was then I realized he being left handed was laying the rifle over sideways and there was a little pile of .22 cartridges on the ground when the fell out of the ejection port. Even after I explained that the cartridge carrier only lifts the shell not grab it and he'd have to hold it straight he thought it was defective. I gave him my little Win 62 pump to shoot. Wah! Lah! Problem fixed! Sorry to mention Wichester on a Marlin Forum ::)

Reactions: vwfreak and nfowler

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
hi to all, i would love to be able to purchase a wisners extractor but wisners do not do any international orders. i have got 2 paperclip ones from brownells so i know extractors can be sent to australia. i don't want to brake any laws or get any one into trouble. can anyone help, please.in antisipation, thanks. roger trudgen ( trotter).

·
Administrator
23,773 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
450 Sniper,

Excellent report! I followed it exactly when installing the Wisner ext. Worked perfectly. Ran 20 rounds thru it with no fte. I am not going to dress down the extractor hook. I say "don't fix it if it ain't broke". My bolt sticks out just bit but it's working and I'm not doing anything that could change that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need extractor for Marlin No.20 Pump .22

Please Help!! Newbie here...Completely new to posts ad threads all together. I'm sure that I should be creating a new Thread ( for the life of me can not figure how ) but everytime I have tried to search this issue this is one of the first Threads that comes up.

I have recently inhereted a Marlin No. 20 pump action .22 from my grandfather ,much like others here, and upon inspection have found that the extractor was not present. I have called 20 plus stores and no one seems to have the part. I have even tried a lot of obscure places I have read about in forums and other gun repair sites with no luck. I have not even been able to find a photo of one to try and manufacture one if even possible. If anyone has one that they would like to sale, or even a complete bolt, please contact me. A photo would be appreciated if possible. Also, if there is a better way to post this please let me know. I am attempting to add a photo of the bolt where the extractor should be installed. Fingers crossed it will be inserted bellow. Apollogies and thanks upfront
. bolt.JPG photo.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is great stuff. I had a broken stock on my 1949 vintage 39A. The whole stock episode was precipitated by a FTE. I got the rifle back from the gunsmith and was checking it out and noticed that the extractor was missing. I have no idea when it happened and am a little perturbed that he didn't notice it, but there we have it. So now I've got to replace the extractor and wasn't sure what to do...until I found this thread. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Please Help!! Newbie here...Completely new to posts ad threads all together. I'm sure that I should be creating a new Thread ( for the life of me can not figure how ) but everytime I have tried to search this issue this is one of the first Threads that comes up.

I have recently inhereted a Marlin No. 20 pump action .22 from my grandfather ,much like others here, and upon inspection have found that the extractor was not present. I have called 20 plus stores and no one seems to have the part. I have even tried a lot of obscure places I have read about in forums and other gun repair sites with no luck. I have not even been able to find a photo of one to try and manufacture one if even possible. If anyone has one that they would like to sale, or even a complete bolt, please contact me. A photo would be appreciated if possible. Also, if there is a better way to post this please let me know. I am attempting to add a photo of the bolt where the extractor should be installed. Fingers crossed it will be inserted bellow. Apollogies and thanks upfront
There is another possibility and I am just guessing it will work. If you go to Wisner and look a the extractors that they make for the lever action rimfire. # 25G is close to what you need for the Model 20.
It will need reworking, to make it work, but it will be easier to start with that, then to start from scratch. If I ever need one, that is were I would start.

Marlin Lever RF Extractors & Data

·
Registered
7 Posts
I I'm a newbie to these threads also. I have a 39A that looks like the ejector spring pushes the bolt out slightly when the lever is pulled and the unspent shell gets bound up not clearing the barrel. I also tried to eject an empty shell and it didn't shoot that out either. The ejector spring seems to be ok but I can't get the shells to clear the barrel. Can anyone help?
Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts