Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Here's a photo of the ejector assembly in my new-to-me 1976 39A. Is it installed backwards? The ejector arm retention screw doesn't do anything in any case--it rotates freely, won't back out, and the arm is stuck in it's current position. The assembly won't come out because the receiver screws won't budge, so I need some penetrating oil and a soldering iron to remove it prior to inspection and cleaning. Thanks.

39A Ejector Backwards.JPG

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Hold down the ejector part and turn the "screw" until it holds the ejector down. It should rotate, without unscrewing as it's not actually a screw.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yes. It's backwards.

So, it's gotta come out if it's ever going to work.

Hopefully, the spring is under there. If not, it's cheap and easy to replace.

Make sure you have a correct fit on the screwdriver and get after it. It's unlikely that the screws have corroded themselves in that brass.

Hopefully the bozo that put it together backwards didn't own any locktite.:biggrin:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bummer, but that's what I thought. Second on the Loctite--if that's the case, I'll probably send it back. Thanks!

·
Registered
462 Posts
This is my 39AS. It's a little different, but you get the idea.

This is what your ejector is supposed to be doing.

***EDIT***

Tall Grass beat me to it. Now you have two views of what it's supposed to look like.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
And if you turn the gun over, you will see the screws that hold it in place.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
It's a little hard to tell from the photo, but the ejector arm retaining screw doesn't look like it's got a slot in it. One side of the screw is supposed to be slotted to let the arm come up. If the arm can't come up, it ain't gonna work....

Reactions: djxprice

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Whencleaning the bore, hold the ejector arm down, through the slot and rotate the screw a little. This will hold the ejector down, out of the way. When the cleaning is done, hold the ejector arm down, rotate the screw so the slot allows the ejector to come up and you are back in buisness.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Penetrating oil and a proper sized screw driver worked fine, here's the ejector assembly. The retention screw does not have a slot, so there's no way for the arm to pop out. Also, I haven't looked yet, but does the "spring" pictured next to the ejector base look right? What's the fix, aside from ordering a new assembly? Dremel a slot into the retention screw? Even if I did that, it looks like I'd have to make the arm a bit slimmer, too... Thanks for all your help.

39A Ejector Assy.JPG

·
Registered
635 Posts
I will put my macro lense on the camera tomorrow and see if I can take some sharper close up shots to give you a good look at the rivet (retention screw) on my rifle. I'll take photos in both the open and locked down positions to show the various part orientations.

That might show you how to adjust what you have.

From your photo, the assembly looks in fair shape to me.

Regards, TallGrass

·
Registered
462 Posts
Did you rotate the rivet a whole 360 degrees?

Is it possible the slot is on the other end of the screwdriver slot and concealed by the brass base?

The spring looks correct to me.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Is it possible the slot is on the other end of the screwdriver slot and concealed by the brass base?

Replace "possible" with "almost certain that". :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rotated rivet 1440 degrees--no slot to be seen. Dunno how this woulda passed QA checks back in '76. The casings basically "fall" out of the rifle just from the action of the extractor, so it "works" but not as intended. I don't have a file small enough, but maybe a hacksaw blade will do the trick.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Buy a file and do a neat job of it. I'd take my ejector down to the hardware store and buy a file with a thickness that matched the witdth of the ejector.

I'd also wait for Tallgrass' photos unless you can find a pic on the web. Good to have a reference image. I bet someone replaced a lost screw with one that didn't belong. You are lucky you don't have a mismatch of threads on top of it all.

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
It looks like the part has the correct screw in it. But someone had to of replaced the assembly in wrong recently, with a assembly that that wasn't finished. I really doubt that
it would have gotten out of the old Marlin plant like that. Now if it was a Remlin made the gun, I could believe it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts