Marlin Firearms Forum banner

39A broken ejecter lock screw

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  falloutboy89 
#1 ·
Well.....I guess I will never make gunsmith. :-[ I was trying to lock the ejector down by pushing it down and locking it as I normally do during cleaning. This time I guess I did not have the ejector pushed all the way down before I turned the lock screw. It just snapped off and metal shavings went everywhere. I finished cleaning the gun and it seems to work without the lock screw.

#1 Do I really need to replace it?
#2 What parts do I need? What may lurk behind the screw that I may have destroyed as well as snapping the screw off?
#3 Can anyone make me feel better about my (lack of) gun smithing skills? ;D

#2 ·
The only purpose of the screw, actually it is called a rivet is to hold the ejector down while cleaning the barrel from the breech. The gun should funtion properly assuming the ejector gets seated all the way down.
You can replace the rivet by ordering a partial ejector assy which would be the ejector base and rivet attached.
Actually, not having the rivet might be a blessing in disguise, since quite a lot of problems arise when assembling the gun with the rivet head not aligned properly.

#3 ·
I'm sure a lot of other folks have done the same thing. Another reason to get a BoreSnake and use it to clean your gun. If the gun is functioning, I wouldn't worry about it.

#5 ·
Barefoot serpent said:
Well.....I guess I will never make gunsmith. :-[ I was trying to lock the ejector down by pushing it down and locking it as I normally do during cleaning. This time I guess I did not have the ejector pushed all the way down before I turned the lock screw. It just snapped off and metal shavings went everywhere. I finished cleaning the gun and it seems to work without the lock screw.

#1 Do I really need to replace it?
#2 What parts do I need? What may lurk behind the screw that I may have destroyed as well as snapping the screw off?
#3 Can anyone make me feel better about my (lack of) gun smithing skills? ;D
BareFoot,

Same thing happened to me and mine. I had the ejector locked down,, and was a few feet away from the gun,, when I heard a loud POP. Heard something hit the top of the Garage,, and Recochet!!!! What the Heck was that, I said!!! Walked over to the Gun,, and The Ejector was looking at me with a Rejected Look!!! ;D

I called Marlin and they sent me a new assembly base,, but they didn't really want to. They said they would do it this one time though. That base assembly is about 25 $'s.

I discovered when I replaced the base assembly,, that by loosening the 2 screws(One Turn), on the side of the receiver that holds it on,, that it won't put as much pressure on the Rivet by the Ejector. So thats what I do now,, before I lock the Ejector Down. They told me at Marlin,, that's how they do it too. But it's not in the Take Down Directions!!!

One other thing that I discovered with the new ejector base,, is that the Locking Rivet is Fragile,, and only wants to turn just a 1/4 Turn in one direction only and then back again to unlock. What I'm getting at, is if you get a new one,, don't force it when turning the Rivet. Try to figure out,, what it likes before assembleing.

Joe :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.